My iPhone 3G Horror Story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SgtDutysBlog, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SgtDutysBlog macrumors newbie

iPhone Horror Story
    July 11 - I go to the Apple store to pick up a iPhone 3G. There is a 2 hour line, which wasn't a big deal. But they ran out of the Black 16GB model I wanted. So I left.
    July 13 - I go to the Apple store to find out they had mistakenly posted that they would have iPhones in Stock on Apple.com.
    July 23 - I go to the Apple store, and begin the process of getting an iPhone. Then find out I have an IRU (discount) on my account.
    July 23 - I call AT&T they say that the discount has been removed and I could go an buy a phone now. Then I go to the Apple Store again to find out that it hasn't and I have to wait up to 3 days to buy one.
    August 2 - I go to the Apple Store wait in line, and begin to purchase my iPhone 3G. Then I find out that I am not eligible. For an unknown reason to the salesperson. I call AT&T and find out I have roughly 2 dollars unpaid on my bill (had used to many text messages). They removed the lock on the account because it was such as small amount. I then finally purchased my iPhone 3G 8GB.
    August 2 - I realize that the salesperson sold me an 8GB model on the way home. I Come back later that day and the Apple store swaps out the phone (the most painless part of my experience) for an 16GB model.

One very dedicated fan

16 GB iPhone 3G; 15.4 inch 2.4 Santa Rosa MBP; 8GB iPhone

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sarge, why didn't you just call AT&T before you went down in the first place? That's what AT&T told me before July 11, '08. I walked in and bought two 3G 16GB iPhones and was the 2nd person in line. Got home and activated my corporate discount. :cool:

3. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Why not just do a DF order at the local AT&T store on the 11th? You would have gotten the 3G much quicker (I know, hindsight is 20/20) and not lost 2-3 months of discounts on your service.

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Dedicated? Hardly.

It should be:

July 11 - failed.
    July 12 - failed.
    July 13 - failed.
    July 14 - failed.
    July 15 - failed.
    July 16 - failed.
    July 17 - failed.
    July 18 - failed.
    July 19 - failed.
    July 20 - failed.
    July 21 - failed.
    July 22 - failed.
    July 23 - failed.
    July 24 - succeed.

Then you can call yourself dedicated.

5. SgtDutysBlog thread starter macrumors newbie

Heres why, after I missed the launch. I was told I was going to be given a gift certificate for my birthday. So I had to buy it at the Apple Store, which I would have done anyway. And I live in a relatively small area so there weren't any in stock until roughly the twentieth.