Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
i have a 1.5yr left on the contract...went to bestbuy and they said i have to buy a full cost phone if i don't want to renew the 2yr contract or buy one to replace it now and start a new 2yr today...is that true?

can apple replace or repair the iphone with reasonable costs?

or just buy a new iphone now...i can't live without it and was hoping to upgrade to the new iphone in june.

any help please!

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
the rice trick may suck up some water but it is a myth.

any phone that gets severely wet will continue to have problems.

$199 for apple to replace. You can find someone to fix it but i wouldnt trust them.

Another option would be to sell for parts and buy another one.

mrdinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
good news...i went to the apple and got a out of warranty iphone to replace the wet one....wow, after a little bit...they gave me a free one!!!! didn't cost $199....something to do with my serial#...

now i got to go back to bestbuy to return my iphone that i bought earlier...

and to also verify that the at&t contract is back to my original contract and not start a new contract per best buy & at&t rules....

thanks again all for the awesome advice...i will buy iphone straight from apple store now on but a long drive to get there though.

Nebulance

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
on a related note -- how do you guys handle answering phone calls in the rain? Or do you just avoid picking up until you're under an awning or something?

(I'll be getting a 3GS soon, and was curious about such a topic)

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
on a related note -- how do you guys handle answering phone calls in the rain? Or do you just avoid picking up until you're under an awning or something?

(I'll be getting a 3GS soon, and was curious about such a topic)

If it's just raining a little bit, I will kind of put my fingers over the power button and headset jack to prevent any water from getting in there. I'll also try to cover up the majority of the rest of the phone with the palm of my hand.

If it's raining hard, I just won't use it until I can get under an awning or some place dry.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
good news...i went to the apple and got a out of warranty iphone to replace the wet one....wow, after a little bit...they gave me a free one!!!! didn't cost $199....something to do with my serial#...

and to also verify that the at&t contract is back to my original contract and not start a new contract per best buy & at&t rules....

thanks again all for the awesome advice...i will buy iphone straight from apple store now on but a long drive to get there though.

BTW, could you explain further how you got a free phone? You had a water-damaged phone. Your reply makes no sense.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007

This post makes no sense at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.