My iPhone 3GS randomly wont charge fully should I send it back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daleski75, Jun 27, 2009.

1. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Guys,

Bit of a dilemma loving my new iphone for the past few days much faster than my old one but 2 or 3 times now when charging it gets stuck at 92 or 93% and wont budge.

The only way I can fix it is to do a full restore of the 3.0 firmware and then it's ok for a couple of days.

Could this be a firmware bug or should I take it back? Must say it is annoying leaving it charging and never seeing it hit 100%

P.S I am from the UK so I have to deal with the Carphonewarehouse :(

2. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

Bump

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You might need to calibrate your battery meter. See some of the other threads about it, but what you do is discharge the battery fully until it turns off, then recharge. Don't do this too often, because it's not good for the battery.

4. GamaFu macrumors regular

Have you called Apple UK or go to one of the Apple Store and ask them about it? What do they suggest? I would return it and get another one before it's too late though.

5. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

Yeah that's the first thing I tried and since then I let it get down to about 10-20% before charging again.

One thing I did notice is first time it stuck on 94% then next time 93% and last night 92%

6. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

Apple said they would look at it but if I needed a replacement they could only give me a reconditioned one as I never purchased it through their store.

7. GamaFu macrumors regular

Can't you just return it to the store you bought it from? I assume 14 days of return period is a universal thing, it might be slightly different though. I don't think refurnished iPhone 3GS is even available right now, since it's just out a week ago. :confused:

8. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

I am gonna call CPW today and see if they have any in stock, I phoned last week and mentioned the issue but they had none so had to wait.. not sure about the whole refurb thing maybe she thought I meant a 3G and not 3GS??

The guy I spoke to from CPW suggested I call Apple to see what they say and I asked casually about a replacement and got the refurb response

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The chances of getting a refurb this early are fairly low (but no guarantee), so I'd take it back SOON.

10. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

Gonna try today and see how I get on if not will try and reserve one either where I live or work and hopefully this next one won't have the same issues.

Apart from that it is an excellent phone.. time to make one last backup before zapping it if I am lucky today!

11. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Once it's "stuck" at whatever percentage it's at, if you take it out of the dock or unplug it and then immediately plug it back it in does it show the same percentage.

Also have you let the battery run down to the point that the unit shuts off and then let it charge all the way back up?

12. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

Yeah I tried that and left it for 30 mins and the percentage still does not budge the only way to fix it is to put the 3.0 firmware back on and then it works for a bit which is a bit weird!

I have also tried with no restore from backup... put everything in from scratch and still the same issue.

Tried that as well let it fully drain and then charged to 100% but only done that once as per apple's recommendations

13. daleski75 thread starter macrumors 65816

daleski75

Well called around a few stores and they have none in stock anywhere and do not know when they will get some, got 28 days to return it so just have to sit and wait now

14. taran420 macrumors 6502a

i knew i read this somewhere

i had the same thing happen to me right now. The battery was stuck at 93% and showed that it was fully charged (the plug icon came on). Even free memory was showing 93%. I had to reset it, but was wondering if the OP had the same problem recently and if he replaced the phone