My iPhone 4 already has scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Appler4, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Appler4 macrumors newbie

I got it about a week ago and i put it in a case, after i got another new case i took the old one off, and i have these long thin scratches on my back, do i need it replaced? please help.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You won't be able to get it replaced for free if that's what youre asking

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

AppleCare+ does not cover cosmetic damage such as scratches on the back of the phone.

4. Appler4 thread starter macrumors newbie

This may not be what you do, but is there a way that you know if they are scratches or scuffs.

----------

How much do you think it is?

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You have three options

1. Live with it. It may be tough. But, the phone is in a case and you won't have to see it every time you use the phone. Hard lesson learned.

2. Look to places such as iFixit to replace the back cover yourself.

3. Pay the damage replacement cost Apple charges (if they even allow it for something as minor as this). I believe it is $150.00, which may be more than what you paid for the phone.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

You might want to use a screen protector and/or case from now on. And how is this iOS 7 related?

7. tardman91, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013

tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

How did you manage to scratch the back in a week? I had a 4S for nearly 2 years used without a case and when I sold it the back was as scratch free as the day I bought it (read: the glass on those is tough).

8. Gmerdude macrumors 6502

Gmerdude

It's scratched because your using a case the phone will get scratched regardless buy a life proof case ever since I did my phone has not had a single new scratch on it

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It doesn't sound like it needs replaced but if you think it does, you can take the phone to an Apple store and have the back glass replaced for $29. Or you can order the part online and install it yourself for cheaper than that.

10. nilzi macrumors regular

You don't need to repace if the phone still functions. I think you should buy the iPhone 5S, not iPhone 4.

11. zxoraz macrumors member

Really? No. You don't really NEED to replace it.
    The phone will work.
    If you scratched it so fast though, you might destroy the whole thing in no time.
    In case you believe that this will happen I'd recommend getting a few stacks of back and front covers.

Seriously though, get a front & back protector off eBay for a couple of bucks and forget about it. (Might as well get a cheap back cover from there and replace it yourself, requires removing two screws, not that hard.)

Good luck

12. Appler4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean to scratch it, it was in a case, and i took it off for a while and i noticed the scratch

13. LagLiquidators macrumors member

LagLiquidators

This why I don't use cases. Dirt and sand get in the case and scratch them all up.

14. zxoraz macrumors member

Yeah it usually happens with hard plastic cases.
    If you use them, I recommend installing a back protector (Just like the screen protectors)
    I noticed that a lot of stores don't sell them for some reason but you should be able to get cheap ones off ebay easily.

15. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Yea on a new phone I always use protectors on the front and the back!This not only prevents scratching but is a sure way to guarantee a little more money from your phone when you get ready to sell it!

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Oh, the plot thickens....Here you go. You mentioned that you took the phone out of the case for a while, and noticed the scratch. So it may not have been the case, but something you did, or laid the phone down wrong...Or something