My iPhone 4 has no reception problems at all... Do I have a freak iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by XciteMe, Jul 7, 2010.

1. XciteMe macrumors 6502

No, seriously though, why are so many people making it seem like the antenna issue is affecting 95% of iPhone 4 owners? If anything I'd say it's the other way around... I think this issue, while still unacceptable for the few who cannot get good reception, is completely overblown and overstated.

Who's with me?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

mine is good too but i've had a bumper on it since i got it.

i'm too scared to take it off [​IMG]

3. gringo0505 macrumors newbie

Everyone has the antennae problem but it doesn't show when you are in an area with good reception. I just went on vacation to Viginia and I couldn't make the bars go down by holding it because the reception was very good. But when I'm at home the bars go down in an instant when I hold the phone because in my town in Florida the reception isn't as strong.

4. firteen888 macrumors regular

Mine is perfect too. I've even tried to replicate the antenna issue and can't.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Was wondering when someone would post to tell the OP he's wrong.

I don't have the reception problem, no matter what the bars are at.

6. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

My reception does go down in low signal areas.
    Wish they offered Verizon, they don't have low signal areas... cuz they have a map for that. And iPhone 4 is the first phone in the world that the bars on the phone go down when you hold it. :rolleyes:

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No, you are in the majority. It's just that the minorities voice is louder on the issue.

8. jlmitnick macrumors regular

What are you basing this on? Your gut feeling? The fact that YOU and maybe your friends that have an iPhone 4 (who are in the same probably strong AT&T signal strength area), don't have the problem?

I'm pretty sure the antenna issue actually does affect 100% of iPhones, it's just that some people are in areas with such good strength that even when you make contact with the antenna, you're still keeping 5 bars and not dropping calls.

Fact of the matter is, if you are in a marginal area, which a lot of the country is in with AT&T, the loss in signal strength just tips the connection over the edge into losing a call or not getting data.

It was stupid to design the phone with its antenna being both external and precise where a majority of people hold their iPhone. However, I think now that the issue is clear and out in the open, and people have the opportunity to return the phone for a full refund, it's not a big deal. Me personally, when I hold the phone in a natural way my bars go down but I haven't dropped a call yet, however, my data does get worse when I hold it that way...but the awesome screen and the camera outweigh these problems so I'm keeping it! :)

9. gringo0505 macrumors newbie

Once again, everyone has the same phone with the same problem. There aren't phones with "freak" antennas that don't have the problem. It depends on the area that you use the phone that determines whether or not your bars go down when holding the phone.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Huh, thats odd, mine is having reception issues and my experience must be the same as all other iPhones. :rolleyes:

11. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

No problems here. I have a better signal with my iPhone 4 than I did with my 3GS. Fewer dropped calls, too. :)

12. gr8fl4295 macrumors member

No problems

I have no problems at all. 5 bars all the time. But I do live in downtown Chicago. I'm extremely happy with my ip4.

13. diabolic macrumors 68000

If this wasn't an iPhone, nobody would care about the antenna.

The fact is that in good reception areas, most people don't notice any issues at all. That doesn't somehow make them any stupider or less aware than those who experience the attenuation. If someone doesn't notice the problem in everyday use, it's almost as good as it not existing. If I don't notice it, it isn't a problem, whether every phone is affected or not.

It's not like Apple is going to recall the phones or change the design.

14. skiwil macrumors member

mine is fine here in the uk

I have even had both hands fully gripping it trying to replicate and I cant.

if i have 2 or 3 bars reception then the vulcan death grip makes no difference, same if I have full reception.

No issues here whatsoever. very happy non issue owner:)

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Guys, listen to the engadget mobile podcast, in it Chris Ziegler talks about how he and fellow editor nelay Patel stood on the same street corner in chicago and swapped iPhones and he could immediately tell nelay's had a much worse effect of the reception issue. So not all are perfect and not all are defective.

16. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

If you are in an area with strong signal, holding your iP4 in a "death grip" won't lose you any bars.

17. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

The only way we are going to know if there are "freak phones" out there have that no reception issues is to get one person who claims there is no problem when doing the death grip with somebody that can produce the problem.

Unless you can test two different phones at the same location, we will never know if there are some phones out there that don't experience the problem.

Since there seem to be only a few select people that are claiming there is no problem with their phone, why don't you try and find somebody in your area that is having the problem (this should not be to hard) and have the same person that can do the death grip test your phone and see if they can make it to the same thing.

Unless you can prove that your phone "does not have the issue", we are not going to believe you.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Then explain why people have been able to solve the problem by either trimming/taping the sim card or exchanging phones. In those cases the people are in the exact same locations and yet the problem disappears or is substantially reduced (maybe lose a bar or two but don't drop calls).

I don't know why it's so hard for people with this issue to accept that it's not universal. The engadget podcast is just one of countless examples of two iphone 4s exhibiting radically different signal strength even when used in the same location by the same person.

This is a manufacturing defect, not a design flaw.

19. toddwoodford macrumors newbie

hey man, my iphone 4 is freaking awesome and doesn't have any reception issues and I live in West Virginia! We have the worst reception anywhere...
    I wasn't able to leave work and drive home without dropping a call on my 3G then 3GS... I don't have a bumper, i don't hold it any special way, and can talk the entire trip home and it's crystal clear!

20. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

simply not true. explain to me why I can be in an area with 2 bars and still not drop any bars?

21. dgstan macrumors 6502a

If you think your phone doesn't have reception issues, I invite you to come over to my house and try it. I have spotty coverage to begin with and my left-handed technique makes it worse.

Oh, and bring a 6 pack.