My iPhone 4 is literally a trainwreck

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by olnyguy447, May 30, 2013.

1. olnyguy447 macrumors newbie

So I have had this iPhone for about a year and ten months now. I am eligible for an upgrade but I figured I would just wait until the 5s comes out (only a few months...). Then... it was like the apocalypse hit my phone. Here is the list of problems:

-Lock button broken
    -Home button works about 1/20 times, so sometimes I have to wait for somebody to text me so that I can even unlock the phone
    -It constantly LAGS and apps are like a ticking time-bomb and crash all the time
    -It even struggles to pull down the notification center
    -Camera takes about 30 seconds to open...

Is this normal? I know software outdates the hardware, but I'm not playing crisis on this thing. It can't even load Facebook most of the time. I have over a gig of free memory (is that enough?) left on it, so if that was an issue I have that covered.

This just bothers me because the phone was completely capable just 8 months ago. I have been taking great care of it and cosmetically it's in fantastic shape (aside from the broken buttons, but those weren't my fault).

Overall I just don't know what to do. Do I stick with this molasses speed plagued time wasting machine a few more months, or do I just get an iPhone 5 now? Is there anything I can do to speed this baby up and get it back to its glory days?

Thanks for the responses ahead of time!

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i too would like to know the mystery behind perfectly capable devices suddenly running at crawling speed and gagging for air when an app is opened.

i understand where you are coming from because it has happened to my IPT 4G. with every new day i get more and more frustrated with it even typing lags!

it certainly wasn't like this when i bought it a year ago. of course i have to blame iOS 6 for it there is no other explanation. perhaps the jailbreak hasnt helped as well.

still, and like you, i get the feeling that its a progressive deterioration of performance it didnt happen overnight when i put iOS 6 into it.

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Literally doesn't mean what you think it does.

I recommend taking the phone to an Apple store. They'll replace it with a good-as-new remanufactured iPhone either FOC or for $149 (I think that's the price). In my opinion, that's worth the price, and if you want to upgrade soon, you'll have a near-new phone that you can sell for $300 or so.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Figuratively, it's figuratively a train wreck.

Are you in warranty? Because that's what it's for. I'd go to the Apple Store and see what they can do.

5. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Well, anecdotal evidence.. but my 2+ yr old out of contract 4 is running strong still. I'd wager that hardware problems are your culprit for everything, sounds like you are aware of that though.

A fresh restore, do not restore to a backup (choose set up as new), always does wonders for software problems / sluggishness. Won't fix the lock/home button though.

6. olnyguy447 thread starter macrumors newbie

Agh, I screwed up with the literally. It was in the heat of the moment!

I am not in warranty unfortunately. And you guys are correct, it's $150 for the replacement. I am not sure what I want to do, but I am just disappointed that my product can't even last the two year contract period. Next time I guess I know I need to get a longer warranty period.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Or take better care of your device. Cosmetic is secondary to function. I'd rather have a working lock button and home button over no scratches.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

My old iPhone 4 runs just fine on 6.1.3

OP is it jailbroken?

9. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Same thing happened to my mum's iPhone 4. I restored it with iTunes and set a as a new phone. Everything works like day one now. You should do it even now and then with every iDevice.

Actually, I do it every end of semester with my iPad and iPhone and have both working perfectly.

10. olnyguy447 thread starter macrumors newbie

Truth be told, I have taken great care of my device. I am really careful with my technology as I appreciate how much careful work and planning goes into each device. The collapsing lock button is a known issue apparently. I have no idea what happened with the home button.

Just bad luck in my case I guess.

Edit:

No it isn't jailbroken. I might try a restore and "new phone" like a few of you mentioned.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If either the buttons broke within 1 year, you could and should have take it to the Apple Store. If it's not damaged because you dropped it or something, Apple would have taken care of it.

12. olnyguy447 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to the Apple store the day after it collapsed. The one-year warranty would have covered it. Unfortunately, it was about 14 months in when the lock button broke. It didn't bother me much at first, but the home button is annoying as I cannot unlock the phone from time to time.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That sucks. I don't think this will help you as much it did my Dad's iPhone 4 w broken home button, but try turning on AssistiveTouch. It's found in Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch. It's basically this dark grey square that stays on the screen on top of everything (including apps and such) that gives you an alternative way to perform the Home button press, Volume up/down, 2-3 finger gestures without actually requiring that many fingers, etc. It's to help disabled people. But in this case, might help you since your buttons aren't work. I have it on my 5 and I try to use that soft Home button versus the physical button. You can drag the square thing around anywhere on the screen as long as it's on the edge (as to not interfere with using apps).

14. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I never got that complaint about people saying literally. It seemed to me that the point of saying "literally" was to be hyperbolic, in which case the word is being used correctly. If someone said, "It's the worst day ever," and you asked the person is it truly the worst day ever and they said no, you could make the same argument you did that the person doesn't know the meaning of the word "worst." But the person knew the meaning of the word worst and was using it for a certain effect. Saying it's figurative just seems redundant; that seems clear given the context.