my iPhone 4 send anonymous data ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wild05kid05, Apr 26, 2011.

1. wild05kid05 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 unlocked on T-Mobile, sends about 2mb of data everynight for the last two nights since I just restored it to 4.3.2. I dont have any data plan, all I use for accessing internet is wifi only. Is it me or there's a bug in my iPhone

2. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

It`s probably the iPhone phoning home to Apple with your location history every 12 hours. Not joking.

3. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

I disagree, Iphone doesn't send any location history, but it is storexd somewhere.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

I agree that the phone is phoning home. Maybe to check for updates. Keep in mind that the phone is not meant to be sold w/o a data plan.

While Apple can collect location data in order to enhance their location services, they only collect this data over wifi.

For the record this is NOT related to the location db that has been making news recently.

OP should disable "Cellular Data" under Settings:Network since there is no data plan.

5. jp70 macrumors member

Jailbreak it

Then install SB Settings. There you can toggle off WiFi, 3G and EDGE data (or any combination) very easily. That way you won't send out any data you don't want to. You can still make and receive calls and texts. You can toggle off 3G and WiFi without jailbreaking, but I'm not sure about all cell data.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

@jp70 - Just disable "Cellular Data" under Settings:Network.

Now, he may have other reasons to JB, but that's another story...

7. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

do you have email configured?

When your phone goes to sleep, your wifi goes to sleep too and email is checked using cellular data

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but why would Apple have all this information recorded on your phone if it did not have the phone download it back to Apple.:rolleyes:

It is a known fact that it is sent to Apple on a regular basis.:eek:

9. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Maybe it's another oh so convenient Steve Jobs bug that is making the iPhone send the location data over 3G. I mean, if the iPhone has all those other location history "bugs" as Apple so claimed, it's a pretty small step to see that Apple is also sending the location history over 3G.

10. err404 macrumors 68020

What bugs are you referring to? The cache history duration? AFAIK everything else is by design.

BTW-Your phone doesn't send the consolidated.db back to Apple, rather the opposite is true. That file is a cache of data sent FROM Apple to you phone. That said there is no question that a collection of other data points that are sent home to Apple.

In any case OP can just turn off cell data and be done with it.

11. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Oh, like how Steve Jobs admitted that the iPhone still send your location history back to Apple even if you disable all location services.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple just admitted that they were downloading helpful location cache info even if Location Services was off.

Which means that iAds was accidentally working really well no matter what.

As Church Lady would say, "How conveeeenient".

j/k :)

I don't think they said that.

13. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Yes they did.

14. zanzi macrumors newbie

That's not a bug. It's a feature.

15. err404, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

Sure they, call it bug now... but I get the feeling that it was "by design". They are changing the functionality due to user demand, not because they felt it was implemented wrong.