Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macindev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Seattle, Washington, USA
This is my iPhone 4G concept.

General updates:

4G Technolodgy
4.0MP Camera
FM Radio
iPhone OS 4.0
Up to 64GB Capacity

2x Faster:

4G Wireless
802.11n Wi-Fi
1.2GHz Underclocked to 1.0GHz
512MB RAM
Faster Bus
New Graphics Chip

Case Redesign:

Plastic antenna cover (iPhone 2G) but painted to match
Transition to an aluminum and black scheme
Sleeker body

Please tell me what you think!

Attachments

• iPhone 4G Concept.png
    iPhone 4G Concept.png
    329.4 KB · Views: 441

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009

Hmm, I'd suggest 3x faster processor to wow the masses for Steve's "one more thing..." talk, fallback support for CDMA so Verizon can support LTE/4G but fall back to CDMA if necessary, and a 5 or 6 MP camera that has improved higher ISO support for better low light performance.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Wow.... Can't wait for the other 5,287 post with the same format..... How about you just wait until Apple tells you what their next phone is? I think the next phone will be able to transport you to any place in the world that another person has the new phone......:rolleyes:

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Do not like... The main thing I don't like is the white on the front of the phone. Much prefer that being black.

Also, looks strange without the bezel.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
What makes you think OS 4.0 will look exactly like OS 3.0... right when I saw that this thread failed.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
what about the ability

to keep my Coffee warm. I am calling Steve now to get him right on this! The 4G will be great except maybe the 2 hour battery life part. I see a bunny's in threads future

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wow.... Can't wait for the other 5,287 post with the same format..... How about you just wait until Apple tells you what their next phone is? I think the next phone will be able to transport you to any place in the world that another person has the new phone......:rolleyes:

I never understood people giving someone a hard time for speculating on here, isn't this MacRumors? If all you want are facts then stick to the Apple live page, some of us come here to let our imaginations run wild while helping people when we can. If you don't like a post then don't comment, I think Jimeny Cricket said something that would apply nicely here.

To the OP: I like your concept but would like to see something more like 3X faster as previously stated, technology is advancing exponentially. The only thing I really don't like is the painted antenna cover, it would just scratch up and look bad. Apart from that this is solid. Some improvments I'd like to see in the next gen:

- An LED message indicator
- OS appearance refresh.
- External Flash ( I specifically like the idea of having that flash being built into the Apple Logo )

Thanks for taking the time to share.

EDIT: I thought i'd share a couple of my favorite concepts:
iphone_ultra_thin_concept.jpg
iphoneconcept6.jpg

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The design is uninspired and if anything a downgrade from the current design. The specs are similarly uninspired; they may not be what the next iPhone ends up having, but they are eminently reasonable to expect with no sign of anything creative or revolutionary. One has to wonder why you bothered to make this thread without anything interesting to offer.

to keep my Coffee warm. I am calling Steve now to get him right on this! The 4G will be great except maybe the 2 hour battery life part. I see a bunny's in threads future

Understand-Bunny_(Pancake).jpg

Just cuz I <3 this bunny.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
it's a nice attempt, but you're not the only one who tries to 'make their own concept'. u don't know if any of that will happen. it's just too much of a stretch. and if any part of the phone has something like the 2G's body, it's bad. the metal back felt bad and it was even worse with the weird bottom third of the back.

and it should have a 5 megapixel camera. and the phone looks a little too wide

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
- An LED message indicator
- OS appearance refresh.
- External Flash ( I specifically like the idea of having that flash being built into the Apple Logo )

Thanks for taking the time to share.

God no, please no LED message indicator; I don't want a blackberry.

but I do like the idea of a flash, but not in the apple. I want that to light up like on a MacBook

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

General updates:

4G Technolodgy
4.0MP Camera
FM Radio
iPhone OS 4.0
Up to 64GB Capacity

2x Faster:

4G Wireless
802.11n Wi-Fi
1.2GHz Underclocked to 1.0GHz
512MB RAM
Faster Bus
New Graphics Chip

Case Redesign:

Plastic antenna cover (iPhone 2G) but painted to match
Transition to an aluminum and black scheme
Sleeker body

No antenna covers and no metal. It will remain plastic. Any metal that covers that much of the phone blocks some signal. The solid plastic back is much nicer, anyway.

No 4G technology. Not this time.

Hmm, I'd suggest 3x faster processor to wow the masses for Steve's "one more thing..." talk, fallback support for CDMA so Verizon can support LTE/4G but fall back to CDMA if necessary, and a 5 or 6 MP camera that has improved higher ISO support for better low light performance.

Verizon won't get it. And they're not going to make one phone with GSM/CDMA/LTE because it will be huge.

it's a nice attempt, but you're not the only one who tries to 'make their own concept'. u don't know if any of that will happen. it's just too much of a stretch. and if any part of the phone has something like the 2G's body, it's bad. the metal back felt bad and it was even worse with the weird bottom third of the back.

and it should have a 5 megapixel camera. and the phone looks a little too wide

The metal back was nice but the plastic cover was awful. They will never go back to metal.

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
ill pick it up on launch if it has LTE support (even though at&t wont have it until much later)

hopefully itll have the better 3G upload (not just the download like 3GS) because my areas getting it before end of 2009

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
- Complete UI change. Its getting old and samey now.
- A rethink on the casing, the actual casing has stayed similar since the beginning
- A camera that has similar specs to other brand phone (6-7MP) with video of course
- The apple logo lights up like the macbook range
- Flash, it has to be integrated well though, the iPhone can't be ugly
- A metal body similar to that of the macbooks (maybe different colours)
- Most up to date wireless and Wi-Fi technology
- Most up to date processor, memory, BUS and graphics
- 64GB+
- FM radio with live pause (like the nano)
- OLED screen

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise

but I do like the idea of a flash, but not in the apple. I want that to light up like on a MacBook

How is an LED message indicator automatically associated with a BB and not with pretty much every other phone out there. You can always turn it off, but it's just nice to have that so you can visually see you have a message if it is set on silent and may have been away for the initial alert. It's even nicer to be able to see an alert when you have it silenced with vibrate off.

Onto the flash, I would like a flash no matter how it's introduced. I saw a nice concept a while ago where the flash was a ring around the lens. What would the purpose be of the Apple lighting up a la a MacBook if you don't want it as a flash and you don't want a message indicator? If it's not doing one of those functions it would just be annoying, like when I accidentally leave my MacBook Pro on, but closed in my room at night.

wowipod

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Queensland
How is an LED message indicator automatically associated with a BB and not with pretty much every other phone out there. You can always turn it off, but it's just nice to have that so you can visually see you have a message if it is set on silent and may have been away for the initial alert. It's even nicer to be able to see an alert when you have it silenced with vibrate off.

Onto the flash, I would like a flash no matter how it's introduced. I saw a nice concept a while ago where the flash was a ring around the lens. What would the purpose be of the Apple lighting up a la a MacBook if you don't want it as a flash and you don't want a message indicator? If it's not doing one of those functions it would just be annoying, like when I accidentally leave my MacBook Pro on, but closed in my room at night.

That ring flash sounds good. That would be good integration.

Personally I don't think having an apple logo lighting up like the macbooks would cause too much of an issue because I tend not to put my iPhone face down with the back facing up, but I can see what you mean.

As for the LED message indicator as the apple logo? Well if thats what you mean that wouldn't be too bad either, but not a high priority as you only have to push one button to see if you have an SMS and I am sure that there will soon be push for the mail app and so that will pop up when you push the home button too.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I know this is only a concept, but I'd be surprised if the 2010 iPhone supports 4G. 4G will be in the very early stages for some networks, and others won't have even started to have 4G service available.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I never understood people giving someone a hard time for speculating on here, isn't this MacRumors? If all you want are facts then stick to the Apple live page, some of us come here to let our imaginations run wild while helping people when we can. If you don't like a post then don't comment, I think Jimeny Cricket said something that would apply nicely here.
Not giving the guy a hard time.... simply stated I can't wait for all the other post such as this. I gave my $.02.... I said it would transport you to any other new iPhone out there. My idea is just as valid as the op's.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No offense to the OP, but the design is not that great. The feature list provided is not that endearing as well.

My short list
Better camera
OLED display
UI interface redesign
Lose the olephobic coating
better battery life (yes, I want my cake and eat it too ;) )
better background multitasking - maybe not true multitasking in the truest sense but the ability to run pandora and read my emails (I can listen to the iPod app and do that)
Lose the megalomaniac control over the app store - its ridiculous to be approving/disaproving apps based on an unpublished policy.

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo

This is a rumors site...... if you don't want to read it, don't click on it.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL

Ooh, that would be HOT. I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

That said, I'd still like an LED indicator. That's the only thing I miss about my Blackberries. It's not a total dealbreaker if it never has one, but it'd be a nice option to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.