My iPhone 4s outperforms my new iPad in download speed...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cscottrun, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

I have an iPad 3rd gen, 16 gb wifi only. With all the wifi problems I wanted to go ahead and check my speeds. I had been having intermittent connection problems at school, but that may just be a result of a terrible service provider. Anyway, I connected both my iPad and my 4s to the same network, and placed them both right next to me.

Ping for both of them is between 14-17 ms. Download speed for the 4s averages around 9 Mbps (last test was 8.70 Mbps). Meanwhile, my iPad averages around 7 Mbps (last test was about 6 Mbps, but I have had tests range from 5-11).

Is this normal? I don't know much about the internals of either device and how they are suppose to perform. I assumed the iPad would and should outperform the iPhone.

I am on a cable network, and from the same spot, my mac and windows computers easily hit 30 Mbps. Should I be concerned/be making an appointment? I'm not necessarily picky, but after paying 500 dollars, I want my device to work correctly. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

2. Fireguyy macrumors member

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Out of curiosity I checked three device, 4s, iPad 2, new iPad.
    All within 1-2 % of each other going to an Airport Extreme

I used the speedtest.net app.

Initially the iPad 2 was faster on upload, but it was using a Server 15 miles closer to me than the others.

Make sure in the results section you are using the SAME server and getting similar ip addresses for each device or your results may be different.

4. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it, now I'm just curious what speeds people are averaging on a cable network like mine. My numbers seem kind of low.

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

23.5 down
    6.3 up
    18ms ping
    Comcast is the provider.
    iPad 3rd gen

Used speed test app

6. Ries macrumors 68000

Try putting some distance between them, like 5 feet / 1.5m. Placing my iPhone 4 close to the right side of my macbook pro, causes the macbook to get shotty wireless. May be interference.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Incase you weren't, make sure you run the tests isolated from each other (not simultaneously), albeit within a similar time period. Also make sure that you are always connecting to the same server. If you end up with a mean speed/ping way lower on the iPad there may be problem with it.

8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Tried numerous tests, but here's a common outcome (all from the relatively same distance, which is about 10ft from my router)

MacBook Air: 26.93Mbps / 5.72Mbps
    iPhone 4s: 25.60Mbps / 5.83Mbps
    2012 iPad Wi-Fi:26.17Mbps / 5.76Mbps

Weirdly, I was only getting around 3-5Mbps with my iPad until a few seconds ago when I tried it again, meh.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

iPhone 4S:
    Download Speed: 24.53Mbps.
    Upload Speed: 9.48Mbps.
    Ping: 58ms.

iPad Third Generation:
    Download Speed: 34.34Mbps.
    Upload Speed: 9.73Mbps.
    Ping: 54ms.

Test done with Speedtest.net app.
    ISP: BT Infinity Fibre Optic.

Clearly my iPad is faster. This is pretty much consistent when ever I do speed tests.

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Very similar to my iPad 2 results. I got 34.49/9.62 next to my HomeHub3, also got BTinf

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

If your Mac/Windows PCs are connected to the exact same wireless at the exact same location and get 30mbps, while your iPhone/iPad get under 10mbps using the exact same tests, I'd say either the school is throttling iPhone/iPad connections somehow or there's a problem with your iPhone/iPad setup or the devices themselves.

In my apt., my speedtest.net wifi speed tests on my Macbook, iPhone, and iPad are all about the same, give or take a few mbps. BTW the difference between 7 and 9 on your iPad is negligible in real world usage.

And if you are not using the same test (in my case, speedtest.net on my macbook, and the speedtest app on my iphone/ipad) on all devices, all bets are off.

12. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

So just to be clear, I ran all my tests separately but within a few minutes of each other. Is it possible that my laptops might just have the ability to grab the connection better then my iPhone an iPad? I'll have to get closer to the router and try them all later.