My iPhone 4's screen has spoiled me for the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeyTree, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Like many people, I've been desiring an iPad. However, I think that using my iPhone 4 for a month and a half, with its gorgeous retina display, has spoiled me.

I was playing with an iPad in Philly's new Apple store yesterday, and was struck by how pixelated everything looked. It worked fine for video, but text was just awful compared to what I've grown used to on my iPhone. I hope that the next gen of iPad has a "retina" display too.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

2. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Another post hoping for retina display in the iPad. :rolleyes:

*runs for cover before all the tech geeks bombard this with retina display seminar

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Oh good god. I've had an iPad since day 1 and an iPhone for several weeks. I don't read books on my iPhone, regardless of how nice the screen may be. That's what my iPad does better. Each device has its strengths and weaknesses but lack of "retina display" resolution on the iPad has not been an issue for me.

4. xraytech macrumors 68030

Incoming!!!

Have at it boys. XD

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I feel the same way after using the iphone 4 for a while then picking up the ipad, however the feeling goes away after about 30 seconds and my eyes are used to it. It's still a fantastic screen.

6. pdhahn macrumors member

I can see how someone might feel this way, but personally I don't mind the difference in the displays. The increase in screen real estate more than makes up for the quality difference in my opinion.

7. xraytech macrumors 68030

Hmm... The place looks familiar...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=950195&highlight=spoiled+iphone+ipad

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=953253&highlight=spoiled+iphone+ipad

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=958733&highlight=spoiled+iphone+ipad

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=948200&highlight=spoiled+iphone+ipad

But seriously, I got over the difference between the two screens as soon as I tried reading a book and surfing the web on my iP4. Despite the increased pixel density on the iP4, the viewing experience is a lot more enjoyable on the iPad.

8. Ganges macrumors member

The problem is that this spectacular screen is tiny, and is attached to a cellphone. I have an unnatural dislike for cellphones, so the retina is of little consequence for me.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

The thing that really boggles my mind is that people didn't notice the low-res nature of the iPad until AFTER the iPhone 4 came out.

Heck, the very FIRST day I picked up the iPad (i.e. day 1) I was hoping for more in terms of resolution. I feel the same way about the awful 1440x900 displays on the MacBook Pro 15" (base spec).

There's simply no reason to not have more resolution standard. The 15" MBP should have a 1680x1050 display as STANDARD, and a 1920x1200 display optional.

And we all hope for a 2048x1536 "retina" display on the iPad...

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Use the SEARCH feature dude. This has been discussed over and over. Why start another whiny thread about something that has been discussed to death?

11. xraytech macrumors 68030

How much are you willing to pay for a screen like that on iPad?

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

Silly question. The idea of an IPS LED 960x640 screen on a 3.5" device sounds ridiculous, too...

It's 100% possible, and affordable.

13. stordoff macrumors regular

No it isn't. It just isn't feasible to put a 2048x1536 display in a mobile device at the moment (and I seriously doubt that it will be within the next few years).

14. xraytech macrumors 68030

Not silly at all, this has been discussed at length about bringing a Retina Display to the iPad. And I am sure you've read all the arguments cuz you wouldn't have chimed in on this thread.

How much would you pay for an iPad with a Retina Display?

Just answer the question.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

In 2011, I'd happily pay $499 for a 16GB WiFi 2048x1536. $599 for a 32GB WiFi, $699 for a 64GB WiFi. See where I'm going with this?

It's that simple. Those who think it's "not possible" etc etc are simply wrong. In my opinion, of course. ;)

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Would you happily cut your battery life in half? More pixels mean more to drive, means less battery life.

17. WilliamG macrumors G3

Except that's clearly not the case at all. Take the iPhone 4, for example. Thinner than the 3GS, 4x the resolution of the 3GS, and what.... 40% better battery life than the 3GS?

Technology changes. This CAN be done, and likely will. Battery in half lol...

18. xraytech macrumors 68030

Okay let's just say there is an iPad Retina Screen with a resolution of say 2560 x 1600, which is the same resolution of my Apple 30" Cinema Display. The video hardware alone to drive that screen would be insanely high for a mobile device like the iPad.

Oh by the way, if it is possible, yeah I'd buy it.

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

No, first it's "only" 2048x1536. And second, look at the iPhone 4! 960x640! On a TINY 3.5" device which has NO trouble moving those pixels. You should see Jet Car Stunts on the iPhone 4 at 960x640. Stunning. Runs beautifully, too.

20. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

That's because it runs the same SoC as the iPad

21. xraytech macrumors 68030

Okay let's settle this shall we. This is a quote from someone on another thread about the same subject.

Nuf said.

22. WilliamG macrumors G3

No, not nuff said. He's simply WRONG. I can hold my 3GS and my iPhone 4 two feet away and EASILY see the sharpness difference. For him to generalize that you can't see the difference at 1.5 feet away is ignorant and far from scientific. It's the same people who say you can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p at some arbitrary screen size/viewing distance.

Here's some more credentials: I told my wife, - who double-majored in math and computer science and just completed her masters in computer science, - about this post, and she laughed. Take that for science.

2048x1536 would look fabulous on the iPad. It's THAT simple. You'd be able to see the difference, and "technology" dictates that it could easily be accomplished. It's just up to Apple to do it.

5200x3000? Where did he pull that out of? :rolleyes:

I suppose it's also not possible for an iPad to exist, technically. If late last year you'd told me that the iPad was going to exist, with its 10+ hour battery life with wifi ON, streaming HD videos on a 9.7" IPS LED display with NO perceptible heat when it's in your lap, I might have laughed, too.

If at the same time you'd told me a 3.5" IPS LED 960x640 display was going to exist on the iPhone, I'd have laughed, too.

A significantly higher-resolution iPad is coming. When, is the question.

23. donster28 macrumors 65816

now it's nuff said! :)

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Easy solution:

When using an iPhone 4, hold it really up close to your face. When using an iPad..hold...it...very...far...away. Now, they both looks the same. Perspective, FTW!