My iPhone 4S Won't Automatically Pair Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Raymondo17, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Raymondo17 macrumors newbie

My old iPhone 3Gs had no problem connecting to my car audio's bluetooth accessory. It would take a moment or two, but with no interaction from me, when I entered my car my iPhone would automatically pair with the receiver. Now, with my iPhone 4S, it doesn't automagically sync. I have to manually bring up Settings>General>Bluetooth and type in a freakin' passcode to make it finally connect. Any clue how I can get back to automatic syncing?

2. SexyBeast macrumors regular

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Did you delete the original pairing on the car?
    Small chance it might create an issue if the phone is named the same as your previous phone? Just guessing.

My 4S it works fine with my car, but I wiped the pairing and created a new one.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Haven't had a problem with mine. I use a Motorola T505 and it works great. Try the suggestion above of deleting the pairing and trying again.

5. hlay macrumors newbie

i have the same issue. my ip4s BT connects automatically to my Alpine ixa-w407 this time, it won't the next time then connect the other time :confused:
    i've done all the suggestions above, i also did a factory reset on both my phone & the car's system without luck. all my other device (Blackberry Torch & SE X10) are working fine. :apple: :apple: :apple::(

6. LorenK macrumors 6502

No backwards compatibility

I took my iPhone and my bluetooth device in to the Genius Bar and after trying to match them, the genius tried my device with his 3s phone and it worked. Apparently, bluetooth in the 4s is not backwards compatible. I was told that there might be a firmware update to fix this, but I won't be holding my breath.

While I am a Mac user, I also recognize that this is one of those typical frustrations that I have with Apple from time to time. I recently bought a MacMini with Lion and several of my odd music apps no longer work because Lion was updated and no longer supports whatever it is that these apps use. Oh, well, just won't put Lion on my MacPro, until I now longer need those old apps.

While I will say I understand it with Lion, the 4s issue is a little bit odder since I think that compatibility with bluetooth devices for a phone is a safety issue, i.e. if your handsfree doesn't work, then you're not going to use your device handsfree. My advice to Apple, make the fix.

7. kboyle65 macrumors newbie

If its a Ford car or truck I know you have to be inside the car/truck with the device when you start it so that pairs. Otherwise you have to dig into the menus to pair it. Hope I could help!