My iPhone 5 appears to have been locked to a foreign SIM. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcosscriven, Nov 6, 2013.

1. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Hi

I have an iPhone 5 which I bought from Apple in the UK, unlocked/without contract.

I then used it fine on a network in UK called EE. At some point the lighting port failed, and I was given a replacement. The replacement then didn't work with my EE SIM, and the Genius Bar guy realised I had accidentally been given a locked iPhone. So I got a second replacement the same day.

After that, all seemed well.

Now I am travelling in Peru, and decided to get a local SIM (a network called Claro Peru). That SIM also worked fine, and I had amazing 3G coverage without huge roaming fees.

However, now when I put my EE SIM back in, the phone persistently says 'No SIM'. I tried a reset of network settings a couple of times, and I'm on iOS 7.0.3.

I'm not going to be able to return to the UK until May next year, but somehow need to still get my
    texts.

Any ideas how I can sort this out please? Am I right in thinking the phone has become locked? Would that have been a mistake by Claro here in Peru?

Thanks in advance

Marcos

2. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

You can use many sites to check the locked status of an iPhone. Just use google to find them. It'll give you a starting place and perhaps allow you to make your next move. If it's locked then you'll need to email tech support and see if they can help. The local apple store might but they might not understand and you could get yourself into further issues.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Are you certain your UK SIM hasn't gone bad? Do you have access to another phone to check it with?

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

Isn't this a roaming issue?

5. winterny macrumors 6502

If your phone were locked, you wouldn't get "NO SIM", you would get kicked back into activation (which would fail with the wrong sim).

Most likely your sim card went bad.

6. Bluemustang macrumors newbie

Are you inserting your EE SIM into your iphone while you are in Peru?
    Try wiping the metal contacts on the EE SIM and try again. Oil from our fingers, if left on the SIM, may reduce contact.

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

It's nearly impossible to lock an already unlocked phone, a local sim wouldn't do that.

"NO SIM" means the phone is not recognizing the sim, meaning it could be a busted sim. Try getting a new sim card. If your phone was locked, you would get the "invalid SIM" warning/activation required etc.