My iPhone 5 design concept

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GubbyMan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. GubbyMan macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

Now that we know that iPhone 4S has the same design as iPhone 4, I thought that I wanted to share my thoughts on what the iPhone 5 should look like. I've been thinking about this design for a while now and I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. :D

The idea of an iPhone without a home button isn't new but I couldn't find a good concept of it anywhere so I decided to "photoshop" something just to show you what I mean. I know it's badly done but this is the best I could do in a short amount of time.

[​IMG]

Instead of having a home button to exit an app and bring up the multitasking bar, I thought that the same functions could be done on the touchscreen. If the notification center in iOS 5 can be brought down by swiping down why can't the multitasking bar come up from the bottom of the screen just by swiping up? Exiting an app could be done by some other gesture from the bottom of the screen or maybe even just by clicking the sleep button on the top.

This design has a 4 inch screen while it's shorter in length and has almost the same width compared to the iPhone 4/4S. The screen has a longer aspect ratio. (I thought it could be 16:9)

I know it's hard for developers to change their apps to fit a new screen like this and that is one of the reasons I want to ask you what you think about it. Do you think a button less iPhone would be practical? Do you think that Apple will introduce something like this next year? And will you buy it if it gets released? Tell me your thoughts. :)

Also, I made some small adjustments on the phone like the volume buttons on top and no silent switch just because it was cool. :D The point with my concept isn't these small design changes. The most important thing is the "no button / edge to edge screen" change.

2. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

That honestly looks awful. iOS needs some sort of home button. And what happened to the volume rocker?

3. auxsend macrumors regular

Looked the same. Not bad. Needs the button. Screen would be better wider than longer.

4. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Not the greatest design. I wouldnt buy it, But Im sure someone out there likes it. It seems to wide.

5. appleisgod macrumors regular

Did you even look at it? It's clearly a much larger screen.

Nevermind, quote changed.

6. GubbyMan thread starter macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

Yeah but a wider phone would feel too big when you have it in your pocket.