My Iphone 5 drops calls, will 5s do the same?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

So my iphone 5 drops calls at my house all the time. I have had it replaced and had new Sim put in. still does it. about 30% of calls are dropped. however i have a blackberry for work on same network and its fine and my wifes 4 doesnt drop calls either. I'm up for a new phone and want a 5S, but since the majority of the phone is the same, what are the chances it will drop calls at my house? it would suck to have to change brands of phone due to this. i live in a regular city and it even seems like it drops when im standing outside my house as well.

Think its dumb to get a 5S, or does anyone think the dropped calls will go away.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It may not be the phone but your carrier. I have an iPhone 5 and it hardly drops calls. When it does, its because I'm in the office in certain locations where the signal is the weakest.

If it is the carrier, then you'll see no improvements. If this is only occurring at your house and no where else, its likely not the phone.

3. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

the carrier is verizon and i have had it for 14 yrs. and none of the phones have had issues. so it makes me think its not the carrier. iphone 4 doesnt have issues but iphone 5 does. it seems to happen more at my house than anywhere else. but then again i make most of my calls from my house.

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

It's possible there could be tweaks to the 5s's antenna system...I can't remember from reviews, but I'd check out Anandtech's review as if anyone's going to mention something like that, it would be Anandtech.

For what it's worth, I bought a Verizon 5s to use on AT&T, and I've had great reception with it. My mom has a Nokia 520 (Windows Phone 8) which also has great reception in the same locations. Seems like I have had...not sure if it counts as a dropped call, but for some reason twice while coming out of my building and trying to call at the same time it's beeped at me instead of dialing and I've had to call again. Otherwise things have been great with it.

My girlfriend has a 4s with Sprint, and gets great reception in places where Samsung phones get nothing at all.

So my impression is that Apple has joined Nokia and Motorola* as one of the three best brands for reception.

*Motorola up until now...who knows how they'll be now that the Chinese government bought 'em :-/

5. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just have a hard time thinking its verizon as i have used like 10 cell phones in this house and never had an issue. and now i do. its odd though that its only been iphone 5. verizon cant figure it out. apple either. they just offer a replacement.

6. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

New 5S dropped a call already. Ironically with verizon. They said try a different phone. That apple has the worst signal strength. It sure what to do. I have 3 iPhone and 2 iPads. I don't want to go away from apple. If I tried to change carriers I would have to pay a ton to get out if contracts.

I can't believe this.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhone 5 was launched 2012, so this is the iPhone 5 beating all other phones on the market in terms of customer satisfaction:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21...-satisfaction-rankings-by-significant-margin/

Who are "they"? Do you have their names? Are "they" willing to put their names on a report?

8. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is verizon says it's the phone and apple says its verizon. Either way I'm going to be forced to not have an iphone. So the loser in all of this is me. Good thing all these devices now become a waste. Not to mention the whole apple ecosystem.