iPhone My iPhone 5 & iTunes Has Gone Screwy!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Dream.Finder, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Dream.Finder macrumors member

Howdy all,

I've been annoyed by this problem long enough to finally post to see if I can find any help or troubleshooting tips. Alrighty, basically I have both my iTunes and iPhone 5 updated to the latest versions... and that's when all this trouble started, right after the updates were made. Let me be clear that my iPhone/iTunes worked properly and synced fine together in the past.

Now my iPhone takes AGES to sync properly with iTunes and load on things like my music files. Before it would just go through and load things up at a decent pace and finish. But now it seems to sit and chug away on the last step "copying music files to device" or something like that. It is frustrating. I sat and sat there and watched it chug away for about a half hour before finally removing it. Everything seemed to have loaded onto my phone fine... but it hadn't.

When setting my music on shuffle, I noticed something strange. Instead of it shuffling through my songs 1 by 1 it would skip from say 1 to 4 to 9 to whatever in the list. I thought that was the oddest thing. After that, I was resting and had one of my favorite albums playing and as I sat and listened, I noticed that some songs were not playing -- turned out they weren't even in the album. Then later on, I was trying to play a song for a friend and when I clicked on the song in the album it just dissapeared and left my album track listings incomplete... (say for example: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10).

Even my podcasts app is being weird... it seems that every time I sync up my iPhone to my iTunes account, it erases my previously downloaded catalouge of podcasts and I have to re-download them... and THAT even takes forever.

OH! I almost forgot. Also... (and this could be the most annoying thing yet) ever since I updated, iTunes has been adding a mysterious orange category to my GB % usage... it is tacking on about 30% and filling up my phone's space with nonsensical nothingness. WHAT THE HECK!?!?

I have tried erasing all my music from my phone and re-syncing it back on... but it still sits and chugs away at that last "copying files" step. I was looking into reseting my phone completely but I was worried I would erase my app and contact list data. Or is there a way to re-set my phone without wiping that important data? What the heck is going on here?? Something funky is up with my iPhone or iTunes, or maybe even both!

HELP PLEASE!! Please... anybody?? :confused:

2. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

I thought that's what shuffle was.

3. Dream.Finder thread starter macrumors member

No, what I described is not how it normally functions. Shuffle "shuffles" all the songs in your music library on your device... BUT it still goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... through to however many songs are on your device, except, they are out of regular listening order (naturally, as that is what shuffle is for). But the way it is going is 1, 9, 28, whatever... still shuffled, but is missing song files that it was supposed to play in the mix when my device "shuffled" that mix of songs together.

4. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I've been having this issue for awhile now as well. However I can't even get iTunes to fully sync with my iPhone. It'll stall then finally make progress by showing the sync steps, however it never actually sync any content to my phone.

5. Dream.Finder thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like we have some very similar issues. The only thing is that most of the songs do manage to transfer to my device... just not all. Still angers me though. Hopefully someone will be able to help or Apple will release a new update that will patch this.

6. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I know you probably don't want to throw any more money at Apple in the mood you're in but consider iTunes Match.

It can be a little buggy but I find the experience so much nicer than classic sync.

Because I'd recently restored my phone I hadn't yet re-downloaded my playlists so I thought I'd do a classic sync as I needed some music and I was just on my way out, I too got the 20 min wait for it to "copy genius data" I don't even use genius, ever.

7. Dream.Finder thread starter macrumors member

Well is there an "actual" solution for this on Apple's end? Is this only happening to a select few of us? Or everyone who updated? :confused:

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Hi. Instead of "latest versions" what versions are you on? And Windows or Mac? I ask because the "latest version" of iTunes resolved this for the folks reporting it here.

9. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Terrible advice and a complete waste of money.

10. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

I had a similar problem... are any of you syncing wirelessly via wifi...?

I only had that problem syncing over wifi... the problem starts with apps having updates; updated already on your phone but not in iTunes... trying to sync as such will take hours...

what I did was I unchecked auto syncing when iPhone is connected via wifi in iTunes... before sync, I manually updated the apps in iTunes... when those are done, then manually sync your phones...

hope that helps...

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I can't seem to be able to sync my 5S with iTunes wirelessly or with a wire. It gets to "preparing to sync" but gets stuck on that. I try to cancel and then iTunes gets stuck and I have to force close it.

12. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

So you don't like therefore somehow my positive experience is invalid?

13. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Someone is having issues with an app and your best suggestion is for them to dump money into that app? Makes sense.

14. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

He's having trouble with the syncing process (although I'll admit there is obviously something going on deeper here).

I had similar problems with disappearing playlists etc and if I use only iTunes Match it works better for me, if I go back to regular syncing I get the same issues. Clearly this almost seems like extortion on Apple's part but for the sake of £20 a year it works out cheaper than the fuel it would cost for me to drive to my nearest Apple store and back with both my phone and my Mac to show them the issue. I have spoken to them several times and they're aware of the problems I was having and nothing has changed.

It was ONLY a suggestion, he can take it or leave it, yes it costs money but I'm not forcing him to spend it am I? Nor do I work for the Apple marketing department.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

The last time I had problems syncing music, I simply deleted all the music off my phone and resynced it. No problems since.

I suspect the database containing music and media gets corrupted once in a while and needs to be fixed.

Apple really should put in some sanity checking for this DB so it can be automatically repaired if this is the case.

16. Dream.Finder thread starter macrumors member

I am on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 -- it says I am running iTunes 11.1.3 (8), iPhone is running iOS 7.0.4. I've tried clearing my music and re-syncing my whole library. No dice. And that orange "Other" % usage category is not leaving the data usage bar.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Ah, I'm on Windows and I think the folks reporting success were, too. In regard to Other, attachments from iOS 6 conversations are not deleted when the conversation is deleted. Once there they are stuck until you use something like iBackupBot to clean them out. Could that apply to your Other?