My iphone 5 rattles

Parkison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hello right when i got my perfect iphone 5 and put it in a otterbox the back of the phone rattles. If i shale the phone no sound is made but if i tap the bavk of the phone, near the camera a rattle sound is made! Any suggestions, i also own a pentolobe screw driver in case i need to take it apart thanks!

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Hello right when i got my perfect iphone 5 and put it in a otterbox the back of the phone rattles. If i shale the phone no sound is made but if i tap the bavk of the phone, near the camera a rattle sound is made! Any suggestions, i also own a pentolobe screw driver in case i need to take it apart thanks!
Take it back.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the rattle as well. Originally it drove me a little bonkers but after reading the threads I see it is pretty common. I didn't notice the rattle on my 4S and my husband said he didn't have any rattles on his 4, but when I tapped the back of his phone, the rattle was there also.

I won't be taking mine back.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Best thing to do is to compare it with other iPhone 5's.

Like the other members have already said, some minor rattle is normal. But I had the same issue and it was much more rattle than other iPhones. It sounded like there was something loose inside the phone.

I took mine into an Apple Store and as soon as they realised it wasn't normal, they promptly replaced my phone for a new one.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
It's the only automated moving part in the whole device - the camera lens. If the camera focuses fine then you have no issues - a rattle is normal.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op like others have said it is the lens. if you shake it and hear nothing but then slightly tap the apple logo you should hear a small rattle from the top corner,perfectly normal and normal to all iphones

----------

rattling phones are great for baby toys
the phone itself does not rattle. in fact if you shake the entire phone in your hand you will hear nothing.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
just got my 5 and first thing i noticed was; the darn rattle. not the best first impression. my 4s was rock solid with no rattles at all. im taking mine back. later.