Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Little underwhelming coming from a iPhone 4. Speed difference is negligible so far. LTE is more annoying than its worth in my area as it constantly drops to 3G/"4G" causing my web browsing to pause and stutter as it switches. The 4G is worse than my iPhone 4's 3G.

Granted I've only been using it for a few hours. Maybe I got caught up in the hype and my expectations were too high. Nonetheless my 4 was starting to die so the upgrade was needed anyways.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You have obviously been smoking something if you're saying the 4 and 5 are the same speed. If you mean data connection that has more to do connection than the phone. Show vid of side by side speed test, otherwise I call bunk. Not saying the 5 should be faster, saying it won't be significantly slower on any given test. Of course unless your on the band of N that the 4 doesn't pick up.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
You have obviously been smoking something if you're saying the 4 and 5 are the same speed. If you mean data connection that has more to do connection than the phone. Show vid of side by side speed test, otherwise I call bunk. Not saying the 5 should be faster, saying it won't be significantly slower on any given test.

funny you should talk about smoking when your state just legalized marijuana :cool:
all jokes aside, OP are you serious?

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Maybe its the constant switching between cellular data and pausing my apps that rely on data that has given me this impression. I was excited by LTE and when I have a good signal it rocks but its so unreliable for me. I jump from LTE to 4g 5-6 times during a 3 minute session. Each time I lag.

Apps are snappier but the 4 wasn't a slouch either. I'm home now so ill put both through its paces without the cell data as a factor. I do like Siri and the form factor of the 5.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
You have obviously been smoking something if you're saying the 4 and 5 are the same speed. If you mean data connection that has more to do connection than the phone. Show vid of side by side speed test, otherwise I call bunk. Not saying the 5 should be faster, saying it won't be significantly slower on any given test. Of course unless your on the band of N that the 4 doesn't pick up.

For the average cellphone user, they don't care about speed as long as it's fast enough to do texting, light browsing, etc. And iPhone 4 is definitely fast enough to do just that.

For cell phone junkies like me, speed is definitely noticeable :D

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
I still say bull to a noticeable speed difference. I have both 4s and 5 and they seem about he same to me. Pretty much waste of money to upgrade.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I went from 4 to 5 and the difference was massive, especially with LTE.

From 4S to 5, however, the gap is much less.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Ok I should follow up now a day with the phone.

Remember my initial impressions were from the instability of LTE in my area causing lag for apps that rely on Internet.

On my home network the speed difference is substantial in every way. It loads web pages 75-100% faster. Games run a lot more fluid. Apps open quicker. Big improvement.

The 4 served me well for over 2 years and was quite rugged despite what others have said. The phone had been naked for 90% of the time and dropped on a few occasions. It has held up cosmetically very well with only a few slight blemishes. My initial hunch is the 5 may not endure the test of time as well. Been reading that even some cases are causing substantial scuffing on the beautiful yet delicate finish.

All in all I'm very satisfied I just wish I had gone 32 gig. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.