Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quickcalibre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
London
Hey, so I had some massive problems with wifi being unstable with the new iOS8 update.

It would disconnect when my signal was strong, disrupting alot of my streaming services and radio apps.

But Recently I've noticed it's not happening anymore, it's not been a iOS8 update fix either, because the improvement happened through the release of the last iOS8 update, was bad, then good.

The only thing that has changed was updating my iMac's operating system to yosemite.

I never turn my iMac off, so, is it possible my iMac on mavericks was interfering with my iphones wifi connection?

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hey, so I had some massive problems with wifi being unstable with the new iOS8 update.

It would disconnect when my signal was strong, disrupting alot of my streaming services and radio apps.

But Recently I've noticed it's not happening anymore, it's not been a iOS8 update fix either, because the improvement happened through the release of the last iOS8 update, was bad, then good.

The only thing that has changed was updating my iMac's operating system to yosemite.

I never turn my iMac off, so, is it possible my iMac on mavericks was interfering with my iphones wifi connection?

No.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

I disagree. I personally own a Samsung phone (can't remember which model now it's just an emergency backup I keep in the car and never use) that when it connects to about half of WiFi networks, it slows them to a crawl and eventually takes them offline. I think it's running a version of Android 4.1. Checking the user forums for the phone showed it to be a widespread problem that didn't appear until a software update and then never got fixed. So a flaky software package for Wi-Fi can definitely trash a network.

Edit I remember now, it's a Galaxy Victory on FreedomPop network.

And also my Wi-Fi network no longer crashes all the time since 8.1.1 and 10.1 so I guess at least some of that mess was sorted it by Apple.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Absolutely, the random annoying lag is gone after the last update.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
would love to say yes, but my 5S has always dropped WiFi, my friend's 6 seems to hang on to it from a further distance from same router though.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree. I personally own a Samsung phone (can't remember which model now it's just an emergency backup I keep in the car and never use) that when it connects to about half of WiFi networks, it slows them to a crawl and eventually takes them offline. I think it's running a version of Android 4.1. Checking the user forums for the phone showed it to be a widespread problem that didn't appear until a software update and then never got fixed. So a flaky software package for Wi-Fi can definitely trash a network.

Edit I remember now, it's a Galaxy Victory on FreedomPop network.

And also my Wi-Fi network no longer crashes all the time since 8.1.1 and 10.1 so I guess at least some of that mess was sorted it by Apple.

Sorry, I don't buy that one device can screw up a wifi network (unless of course the bad device is the router or access point). Each device connects independently to the router. What happened may have looked like one thing to you, but may have been another.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Sorry, I don't buy that one device can screw up a wifi network (unless of course the bad device is the router or access point). Each device connects independently to the router. What happened may have looked like one thing to you, but may have been another.

Um. Not. A misbehaving device can take down an entire network, any kind of network (wifi, ethernet, token ring, whatever), and sometimes it can be hell to find which device it is, let alone figure out why it was doing it. High end router software on expensive commercial routers try to keep this from happening with varying degrees of success - a basic old fashioned example would be using a switch to separate collision domains back in days of yore - it's somewhat more complex now.

I just didn't care to dig into why the stupid Samsung phone was doing it. Like I said, it's just a backup I keep in the glove compartment and turn on every few months to see if it needs charging.

It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if what tatters remain of Apple's software engineering dept had a major oops moment and managed to slam down and overwhelm even some of the most modern routers' software. I saw the first version of iOS 8 causing reboots in my router every 2 hours or so. I tried an entirely different router (because I figured the router was going bad) and it did the same thing to that one too! WTF?!? From what I read here it was happening to a whole lot of people. The whole needing bluetooth+wifi to make handoff work stinks of ineptitude - much like their previously trying to explain that airdrop couldn't work between iOS and OS X because of hardware limitations, that it was impossible, just a few months ago. Except that now it can be done. I guess they hired somebody who managed to keep his jaw closed, not laugh at them, and just make it work. One of these days maybe someone there will go "gee, maybe we could just do handoff over wifi only" and then they'll have that same guy who fixed airdrop work on that too. I hope they are paying him well. I'd guess he's not a flashy dude with rapsterness so probably they won't give him $3bil. Maybe close to six figures and he gets to ride the AppleBus to work lol.

C'mon, this is the same company that put out a software update that was well on it's way to knocking out millions of it's brand newest phones - and it still took them two hours to pull the update? You don't think they're capable of similar screw ups vis a vis packet slamming routers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.