Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
This is my 2nd Verizon 5a. The first one died on thanksgiving (4 weeks old). Apple replaced it with a refurb. They said it had a brand new battery.

I felt that battery was sort of crappy the week before 7.1 came out. Just a feel tho. I updated to 7.1 from iTunes. Now my phone is draining 25% in less than an hour within or use.

I watched a 2 hour movie and it went from 100% to 60%.

I do notice that the location service arrow on the top bar flickers on and off randomly. I have checked location services and just the google app shows it was used. My wife's iphone 5 is doing the same thing.

I read today on Redmond pie that 7.1 is now staring to show abnormal battery drainage. Anybody have more info on this?

Otherwise I was going to bring to the apple store and have them check the battery. Hopefully they will replace it again.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My battery life with iOS 7.1 is the same or better than it was with 7.0.6 for me. Google don't really cause much drain m, so I doubt that is the issue.

Have you tried a clean install of the OS?

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Doesn't upgrading from iTunes do a clean install as opposed to an OTA update? If not, I will give it a try.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
My iPhone 5s is bleed power like a stuck pig :(

Losing 40% on 2 hours movie is probably standard isn't it? Screen powering for 2 hours solid. It's worse on my MacBookPro but I'd be amazed that I still had 60% on my 5S if I watched 2 hour film on it.

More bothered that updating iOS hasn't sorted the wifi problem of dropping all the time. But battery life is always issue with anything iPhone.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
40% drain for a 2 hour movie is pretty standard. I would make sure wifi and bluetooth arent on when not in use, as well as how often data is fetched for mail and such.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I updated to 7.1 from iTunes. Now my phone is draining 25% in less than an hour within or use.

The first one I raised my eyebrow for, which is absolutely abnormal for normal use, the second one is completely normal.
This gives me reason to believe that you're overreacting a tad bid.

1 hour use = 25%
2 hour movie = 40%

Only one of them can be true, the latter seems very likely so it's probably not an issue. If battery life is still really bothering you try looking up some battery saving tips on here, I myself use quite a few. Which boots my battery life insanely.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
This is my 2nd Verizon 5a. The first one died on thanksgiving (4 weeks old). Apple replaced it with a refurb. They said it had a brand new battery.

I felt that battery was sort of crappy the week before 7.1 came out. Just a feel tho. I updated to 7.1 from iTunes. Now my phone is draining 25% in less than an hour within or use.

I do notice that the location service arrow on the top bar flickers on and off randomly. I have checked location services and just the google app shows it was used. My wife's iphone 5 is doing the same thing.

I read today on Redmond pie that 7.1 is now staring to show abnormal battery drainage. Anybody have more info on this?

Otherwise I was going to bring to the apple store and have them check the battery. Hopefully they will replace it again.

In your original statement you said that your first iPhone died and Apple replaced it with a refurb and that "...it had a brand new battery." Were they referring to your original phone - that IT had a brand new battery or that the refurb had a brand new battery?

When I first switched to my 5s, I thought the battery usage was a bit exhorbitant until I polled people here and went through David Pogue's latest book "iPhone - the missing manual (7th ed.)". Unless you're constantly using the Wifi function, it should be turned off (major power hog). There's several other things that contribute to power drains and, now this may sound stupid on my part - I know, I did it - but do you leave the phone on all the time with the screen either on constantly or at full brightness?

When I took mine to the Apple Store they checked the battery and told me it was fine and the young girl who did the diagnostics said that she has to sometimes charge hers in the middle of the day or the late afternoon - and she uses it for a whole LOT more than I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.