Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
Hi All,

I am in much needed assistance from you oh so knowledge ones. My iPhone 5S locked me out of using my phone. Long story short, I only logged into the phone with my personal pass-code to unlock the display screen to use it and not even more than a couple of tries, (not the allowed 6 times before phone locks) did it let me input my pass-code before locking me out of use. I've tried of course turning it off and back on again, but nothing. The msg. states "phone locked connect to iTunes". Here is my problem, I am still running an older but IMO great OSX, Tiger on my MacBook Pro, sooo of course I do not have the updated version of iTunes. At the moment, upgrading my OS to the latest version as well as all of the software internal and external 3rd party programs is not an option. I am pressed for time, I need to unlock my iPhone 5S by yesterday but this week is a must. I know there is an option of what Apple wants customers to do which is to do a reinstall. Not what I want to pursue since it will delete all contents on my iPhone 5S. I have pictures and videos that I need to recover before going to do that reinstall which would resolve in the phone going back to brand new usage, swiped clean. I know there has to be an alternative way around a reinstall manufactured settings? A 3rd party software or a certain code/task to perform on the device itself that will allow me to at least by pass the lock temporarily to retrieve my pictures and videos as well as my contacts from my phone book. I must state upfront that since I bought the phone brand new last year 2014 as a 2 year new contract subscriber there has not been done a back up to the phone. No wi-fi was available to do a backup (I don't know my pass-code to my home network), that is another topic in itself. Digressing back to the topic, I really need advice STAT on getting my iPhone 5S unlocked without deleting my stored contents. Much obliged to anyone who could assist me on this situation. Apple Store/Apple Care and my cell phone network provider are no use for this predicament.

Mac_FanBoy

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am still running an older but IMO great OSX, Tiger on my MacBook Pro, sooo of course I do not have the updated version of iTunes. At the moment, upgrading my OS to the latest version as well as all of the software internal and external 3rd party programs is not an option.
Your options are non-existent, particularly so when you're still Running Tiger, which hasn't been supported for a number of years.
Did you enable iCloud backups on your phone before it locked you out?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I only logged into the phone with my personal pass-code to unlock the display screen to use it and not even more than a couple of tries, (not the allowed 6 times before phone locks) did it let me input my pass-code before locking me out of use. ...
The msg. states "phone locked connect to iTunes". Here is my problem, I am still running an older but IMO great OSX, Tiger on my MacBook Pro, sooo of course I do not have the updated version of iTunes. ...
I know there is an option of what Apple wants customers to do which is to do a reinstall. Not what I want to pursue since it will delete all contents on my iPhone 5S. I have pictures and videos that I need to recover before going to do that reinstall which would resolve in the phone going back to brand new usage, swiped clean. I know there has to be an alternative way around a reinstall manufactured settings? ...
I must state upfront that since I bought the phone brand new last year 2014 as a 2 year new contract subscriber there has not been done a back up to the phone. ...
I really need advice STAT on getting my iPhone 5S unlocked without deleting my stored contents. Much obliged to anyone who could assist me on this situation. Apple Store/Apple Care and my cell phone network provider are no use for this predicament.
An incorrect unlock code can be entered 10 times (not just 6) in succession before your iPhone will lock. Then, you just need to wait for a delay before you can try again. (Try to remember the correct code the first time - makes your life a lot simpler :D ) Unless you have chosen the option that wipes your iPhone if you enter failed passcodes 10 times in a row.
Anyway, plugging in to a system with an up-to-date iTunes will back up your iPhone for you. It will take several minutes.
You will then be able to restore your iPhone if you want. After the restore, you will have the option to restore all of your apps and pictures, music, etc, from the backup that you just completed. That process does NOT leave your phone completely wiped, your data will be restored from the backup that you let happen prior to doing the system restore. The process WILL update your 5S to current iOS 8.0.4 - so that's something to consider.

All of that means that you have to be using a fairly recent version of iTunes. Your iPhone 5S is not supported on OS X prior to Snow Leopard.
Here's one way that you can do ALL of that... Install OS X on an external drive. Upgrade that external system to whatever OS X version you may need. Mountain Lion would likely be a good choice, but you would need at least Snow Leopard. You can have whatever iTunes version you need to support the 5S on that external drive. Your internal Tiger system would not be affected. Boot to the external drive when you need to backup/Update/Restore your iPhone. You could have that external system for use only to support your iPhone. Boot back to your normal system when you are done working with the iPhone...

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
You'll be looking for a long time:D
Be that as it might be. If I would of just accepted a no to being able to bypass the locked display screen from hearing that from Apple store/Apple Care and my cell phone network referring me to Apple, I wouldn't be posting here for assistance. You know that their protocol is to not want customers finding non-Apple product help I.e. 3rd party software.
Furthermore you Applejuiced have yet to explain why there is no way to bypass the locked screen.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
Your options are non-existent, particularly so when you're still Running Tiger, which hasn't been supported for a number of years.
Did you enable iCloud backups on your phone before it locked you out?[/QUOT
I am well aware Tiger has not been supported for a number of years. As stated in my post "
I am
I am well aware Tiger has not been supported for a number of years. As stated in my post...
"I must state upfront that since I bought the phone brand new last year 2014 as a 2 year new contract subscriber there has not been done a back up to the phone. No wi-fi was available to do a backup (I don't know my pass-code to my home network), that is another topic in itself."
If you're going to quote me @chrfr, quote me right. Assist not scolding. My options non-existent. *smh*
Thanks @chrfr

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Furthermore you Applejuiced have yet to explain why there is no way to bypass the locked screen.

Cause due to security reasons.
It cannot be bypassed and there is no hack or 3rd party software that will bypass "iphone locked connect to itunes"
The device is disabled along with everything that was on it its gone.
Keep on looking and waiting if you want.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My options non-existent.
Sorry, but it's the truth. There's no bypass for the situation you're in, and being unable to connect to iTunes because yours is too old eliminates other options.
The suggestion to try installing a newer OS X and iTunes on an external drive is your one hope to make this work, but the phone needs to be able to be unlocked to trust the computer when you do this.
Apple has locked down any sort of bypass due to security concerns.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
An incorrect unlock code can be entered 10 times (not just 6) in succession before your iPhone will lock. Then, you just need to wait for a delay before you can try again. (Try to remember the correct code the first time - makes your life a lot simpler :D ) Unless you have chosen the option that wipes your iPhone if you enter failed passcodes 10 times in a row.
Anyway, plugging in to a system with an up-to-date iTunes will back up your iPhone for you. It will take several minutes.
You will then be able to restore your iPhone if you want. After the restore, you will have the option to restore all of your apps and pictures, music, etc, from the backup that you just completed. That process does NOT leave your phone completely wiped, your data will be restored from the backup that you let happen prior to doing the system restore. The process WILL update your 5S to current iOS 8.0.4 - so that's something to consider.

All of that means that you have to be using a fairly recent version of iTunes. Your iPhone 5S is not supported on OS X prior to Snow Leopard.
Here's one way that you can do ALL of that... Install OS X on an external drive. Upgrade that external system to whatever OS X version you may need. Mountain Lion would likely be a good choice, but you would need at least Snow Leopard. You can have whatever iTunes version you need to support the 5S on that external drive. Your internal Tiger system would not be affected. Boot to the external drive when you need to backup/Update/Restore your iPhone. You could have that external system for use only to support your iPhone. Boot back to your normal system when you are done working with the iPhone...
Whether 6 or 10 tries the phone locked after just twice me trying to input my pass code. I did enter my code correctly. This phone has been nothing but glitchy since within a month of owning it but Apple never wanted to do the right thing and replace it for a brand new phone exchange. Simple swap new same model. I can't wait and try again input my pass code, all I get when turn on the phone is "iPhone lock connect to iTunes".
A question, you say plug the phone into a system. Does that system have to be a Apple device? I was thinking of purchasing inexpensive tablet running Android with a more current iTunes installed and plugging the iPhone that way?
Really? I was previously understanding that the restore will wipe my phone clean and put it in mnfg. settings as opening the phone for the first time. Ok so the restore during the process will give option to save my pic/vids/contacts/txt notes, etc before wiping it clean?
I appreciate the alternative option to install the OSX to an external HD and upgrading it. That seems more technologically advanced and time consuming. Unfortunately I am pressed for time and not that tech savvy as yourself. I will look into it and try to follow your knowledgeable instructions.
Thank you very much @DeltaMac
You're very helpful.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
Cause due to security reasons.
It cannot be bypassed and there is no hack or 3rd party software that will bypass "iphone locked connect to itunes"
The device is disabled along with everything that was on it its gone.
Keep on looking and waiting if you want.
Thanks.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
Sorry, but it's the truth. There's no bypass for the situation you're in, and being unable to connect to iTunes because yours is too old eliminates other options.
The suggestion to try installing a newer OS X and iTunes on an external drive is your one hope to make this work, but the phone needs to be able to be unlocked to trust the computer when you do this.
Apple has locked down any sort of bypass due to security concerns.
Thanks again, see I came here for assistance because I know you all give real advice unlike the company just thinking a customer doesn't know anything. I appreciate the explanation. Yeah, correct how would the phone connect to the OSX installed on the external HD if the phone wont open the black screen. It makes sense. I was so hoping that option would of been a solution.

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
It's very easy really.

Find or beg or borrow a USB Hard Drive
Install Mavericks or later operating system on that drive when prompted for the location
Boot from that drive or location
Install latest version of iTunes
Ensure all operating system updates are installed
Then plug in your iPhone
Start iTunes if it already hasn't started up
Follow the instructions on your iPhone

Sounds long winded - but you would have probably done all of this by now if you had followed the advice from DeltaMac post 6 above.

Good luck.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
It's very easy really.

Find or beg or borrow a USB Hard Drive
Install Mavericks or later operating system on that drive when prompted for the location
Boot from that drive or location
Install latest version of iTunes
Ensure all operating system updates are installed
Then plug in your iPhone
Start iTunes if it already hasn't started up
Follow the instructions on your iPhone

Sounds long winded - but you would have probably done all of this by now if you had followed the advice from DeltaMac post 6 above.

Good luck.
Yeah ling winded but good advice. I'm bit confused though how this OSX installation process will work since like @chrfr stated the phone needs to be unlocked to trust the computer. The screen is black with "iPhone locked connect to iTunes".

nazuk

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
England, UK
Yeah ling winded but good advice. I'm bit confused though how this OSX installation process will work since like @chrfr stated the phone needs to be unlocked to trust the computer. The screen is black with "iPhone locked connect to iTunes".

You are over thinking it at this stage.

Install your operating system to your spare drive, install iTunes, then connect iPhone.

....then follow instructions on your iPhone / iTunes.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
The display screen is black "iPhone locked connect to iTunes".
That's what is showing everytime I turn on the phone.

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
You are over thinking it at this stage.

Install your operating system to your spare drive, install iTunes, then connect iPhone.

....then follow instructions on your iPhone / iTunes.
Ok will do.
Question though how to upload new version of iTunes? When after update new OSX? I do have a hard copy physical disc of Snow Leopard. Could I upload that to a external HD and then proceed as @DeltaMac instructions?

Mac_FanBoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2015
California
Ok will do.
Question though how to upload new version of iTunes? When after update new OSX? I do have a hard copy physical disc of Snow Leopard. Could I upload that to a external HD and then proceed as @DeltaMac instructions?
Ok I just re)read @DeltaMac instructions. I can do it, great! Thanks all that replied. Especially much thanks to @DeltaMac. I'm going to get started on this process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.