Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
This was the best iPhone yet, still will be when I get my replacement. It all started yesterday, my screen became a little laggy and then unresponsive. I was locked out. The only way to get back in was to do a remote wipe and reload everything again. This worked. For 24 hours.

Same thing happened this morning so I went to the apple shop. They did a new software reinstall but this time I couldn't even swipe to log in. They said it was a fatal error and a new phone is required.

So now it will take 3-5 days and I will get who knows what type of reconditioned phone. What a pain.

Anyone else experience anything like this or am I alone?

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
This was the best iPhone yet, still will be when I get my replacement. It all started yesterday, my screen became a little laggy and then unresponsive. I was locked out. The only way to get back in was to do a remote wipe and reload everything again. This worked. For 24 hours.

Same thing happened this morning so I went to the apple shop. They did a new software reinstall but this time I couldn't even swipe to log in. They said it was a fatal error and a new phone is required.

So now it will take 3-5 days and I will get who knows what type of reconditioned phone. What a pain.

I really hate it when you spend good money on a new product, only to have a problem and get a reconditioned back, especially if your phone has broken within days of getting it.

I could understand in the case of you breaking a screen, dropping it in water etc. surely if its a technical fault, you should get a new retail product.

I had a similar issue with a Garmin cycle computer, that was faulty when I got it. They sent me a reconditioned one which had a different fault. The third replacement was a new one in a box with a load of accessories I didn't originally have so I ended up quite happy.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP that's terrible and odds are you will get a great replacement. Refurbs don't bother me at all. I figure they went through some extra tests or the same tests with more scrutiny. Even if they don't, if the phone works then...

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I have been experiencing something similar though not as bad as what you described plus touch ID fails most of the time, i'm not mad, that's what happens when you buy products on launch day. I'm waiting a couple more weeks to get a replacement.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
I'd raise holy hell at the Apple Store if they don't make it right. A new phone isn't enough, they need to compensate you for the anxiety, lost calls, and lost time. At the very least you should get a new iPhone with the next level of storage capacity, and maybe you're choice of any case sold at the Apple Store.

Next time, don't submit to being Apple's beta tester. Wait a few months before buying any newly released product from ANY manufacturer.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach

mine died before yours, was just coming back to post some pics

have a few videos too, it has a kernel panic

no clue

do NOT accept a replacement and do what you get to get a brand new one

i am hoping apple will send me a new iPhone 6+ as "the replacement iPhone" battery dies every 6 hours

----------

I'd raise holy hell at the Apple Store if they don't make it right. A new phone isn't enough, they need to compensate you for the anxiety, lost calls, and lost time. At the very least you should get a new iPhone with the next level of storage capacity, and maybe you're choice of any case sold at the Apple Store.

Next time, don't submit to being Apple's beta tester. Wait a few months before buying any newly released product from ANY manufacturer.

not only did mine die but i paid for a case as i waited for a replacement at apple store, i wish i had dealt with apple customer service

i've got to call back tonight and deal, i am furious

Last edited:

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
OP that's terrible and odds are you will get a great replacement. Refurbs don't bother me at all. I figure they went through some extra tests or the same tests with more scrutiny. Even if they don't, if the phone works then...

my white box dies every 6 hours, before i had a kernel panic i was living like my iPhone was never going to run out of juice!!

here's pics

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1801702/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.