Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upintheclouds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I'm not sure what's going on, but sometimes my phone gets super hot. It's almost unbearable to hold when it gets hot. It isn't dependent on where I am; outside, inside, etc. Sometimes I'm listening to Apple Music, surfing the web, social media, etc. I'm not editing in iMovie or anything strenuous. Sometimes it's hot the touch just sitting on a table. What should I do?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Are you connected to a charger when this is happening?

Heat = energy usage. Go to Settings > Battery to see what's using the power.

Have you done a restart since this began?

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I'm not sure what's going on, but sometimes my phone gets super hot. It's almost unbearable to hold when it gets hot. It isn't dependent on where I am; outside, inside, etc. Sometimes I'm listening to Apple Music, surfing the web, social media, etc. I'm not editing in iMovie or anything strenuous. Sometimes it's hot the touch just sitting on a table. What should I do?
Defective unit. Go to Apple store to get a replacement unit.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Return it
Clearly faulty

upintheclouds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Are you connected to a charger when this is happening?

Heat = energy usage. Go to Settings > Battery to see what's using the power.

Have you done a restart since this began?

Nothing is running in the background. It heats up when its not charging.

Defective unit. Go to Apple store to get a replacement unit.

Its almost 3 years old. They probably won't replace will they?

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Nothing is running in the background. It heats up when its not charging.

Its almost 3 years old. They probably won't replace will they?

Pledge your case that it isn't a physical damage done by you. Give all the other crap reasons so they can replace it.

Just before you go in, make the phone very hot, so they can feel it themselves. They won't want any case like the Note 7.

Last edited:

upintheclouds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I called Apple Care. They said I should restore my phone after they received the hardware diagnostic.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I called Apple Care. They said I should restore my phone after they received the hardware diagnostic.
Do it for the sake of doing it. Then tell them it didn't work a simple bit. Tell them the phone feels so hot you could cook an egg on it. Be intense in your language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.