Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Thanks for the review.

I'm on the fence about whether to upgrade or not! I have a 6 & I keep going back & forth.

If I upgrade, I want to do it this month (because I'd want to use for the reasonable time before the next model)

If it gets to November, I'm most likely going to stick with my 6, but there's still 2 weeks to debate :)

Just can't decide, lol!!

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Thanks for the review.

I'm on the fence about whether to upgrade or not! I have a 6 & I keep going back & forth.

If I upgrade, I want to do it this month (because I'd want to use for the reasonable time before the next model)

If it gets to November, I'm most likely going to stick with my 6, but there's still 2 weeks to debate :)

Just can't decide, lol!!

If you are going back and forth, just do it. Sell your 6 to relieve the cost difference and you will be happy, until the iPhone 7 comes out...

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
All of those cons are precisely why i'll be skipping 6S and waiting for either 7 or 7S. hearing way too many complaints in general with the phone.

Complaints? Can you link me to it? Can you link me to a negative review of this phone? I'd like to read it.

Just saying ... The 6s/6s Plus may not be perfect, but it's a beast of a phone and I haven't seen complaints besides the little nitpicks that comes with any phone release...

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I was also on the fence about upgrading - but i must admit this version is what the 6 should have been. Everything is so polished and fast - and 3d touch is actually a super functionallity when quickly browsing through stuff.

Oh - and the live photo "gimmick" is actually quite fun. Went to a birthday party this weekend, where i did alot of photoshooting. The pics had a whole new dimension, when seeing them in context. Quite funny actually.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Exactly why? Android has barely any usefull features that iOS 9 doesn't have. Not to mention the fact that most things people think as "features" are just some customization bullcrap. I've used Android too and I currently have HTC One m8 running Android 5.0. I have to say that iOS 9 is indeed rich in sense of usefull features that are nicely implemented to be actually enjoyable. Android is more customizable yes, but barely more feature rich.

Android has features that ios doesnt have. Nfc for example, with iphone it is restricted. In android nfc is open for devs. Just checking my travelcard isnt possible using nfc with my iphone but it is possible with my android phone. Filesystem, pretty hard to download files in ios or open them in a certain app. Luckily there is Document5 app to make it alittle bit easier. Not to mention that i cannot chose default apps in ios. No mouse control on my ipad making it not so productive tool when connected to bt keyboard. Cannot send files through bt to another device. And not to mention about that "customiz. bullcrap." There is really nothing that i can customize in my ios devices.. Oh well i can change my wallpaper! Yippee! Customization gives you more features. Adding nfc tags and use triggers is based on nfc functionality. Or just check your homescreen and see all the info you need to see at once. No need to launch apps on everytime. Using trusted places keeps your phone open etc etc... Or how about just putting a song as a ringtone? Something like 15 differend steps(?) to make it to happen and still needs itunes. Oh and i totally forgot the back button!

Edit. And i dont mean that ios is bad... It is just much simple and differend. Im used to it that i can decide and choose apps i want to use or customize the gui. With ios i feel im bound and have to use apps or do things in a way apple has decided and restricted.

Last edited:
Reactions: soulreaver99

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Android has features that ios doesnt have. Nfc for example, with iphone it is restricted. In android nfc is open for devs. Just checking my travelcard isnt possible using nfc with my iphone but it is possible with my android phone. Filesystem, pretty hard to download files in ios or open them in a certain app. Luckily there is Document5 app to make it alittle bit easier. Not to mention that i cannot chose default apps in ios. No mouse control on my ipad making it not so productive tool when connected to bt keyboard. Cannot send files through bt to another device. And not to mention about that "customiz. bullcrap." There is really nothing that i can customize in my ios devices.. Oh well i can change my wallpaper! Yippee! Customization gives you more features. Adding nfc tags and use triggers is based on nfc functionality. Or just check your homescreen and see all the info you need to see at once. No need to launch apps on everytime. Using trusted places keeps your phone open etc etc... Or how about just putting a song as a ringtone? Something like 15 differend steps(?) to make it to happen and still needs itunes. Oh and i totally forgot the back button!

Edit. And i dont mean that ios is bad... It is just much simple and differend. Im used to it that i can decide and choose apps i want to use or customize the gui. With ios i feel im bound and have to use apps or do things in a way apple has decided and restricted.

Very well stated.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
screen issues, chipgate, battery issues, hot button, etc. I'll just wait. Besides the fact that my iPhone 6 is less than a year old, just doesn't seem worth it to me ;)
There is no chip issue as far as I'm concerned. So this isn't a con. Also these other things that you mention are only reported by a very small percentage of people here. For the most part all of the reviews that I've seen for the 6S/6S+ have all been very good so far. If your 6 is fine there is nothing wrong with keeping it till the iPhone 7 comes along. I have a 6S Plus on order from Apple. If I don't see a great improvement over the 6 Plus that I'm currently using I'll return it and be perfectly fine waiting for the iPhone 7 as well.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
Just to piggy back off your review. Coming from years of Android devices I finally got feed up with non-Nexus devices. Previous phones are S6, Note 4, Note 3, Note 2, Verizon Nexus, HTC Rezound and Droid OG. I only played with the iPhone 6 for a week before the bugs set me off.

Pros:
  • Excellent overall performance
(I agree. I've never seen lag and the phone is the fastest I've used hands down. This year I've seen maybe one bug but that's after hours of usage.)
  • Great Camera
(Great Camera but not the best. Still missing optical stabilization and 4K video is better on the S6/Note 5. Doesn't appear to be greatly improved over last year model.)
  • Easiest smartphone to use with the largest App Library and support
(No doubts there. While I like the Google Play store the apps are more consistent on iPhones.)
  • Fantastic build quality
(Fantastic build but design needs work. The antenna lines and off center camera bulge destroy the look for me. The S6/Note 5 are some of the most beautiful phones to come out this year. The Note 5 is especially super clean, minimal bezel and glass back that is curved making the phone comfortable to hold.)
  • Improved fingerprint sensor unlocks FAST
(No complaints here. Got to say that the 6S is twice as fast as the S6 with anything IDtouch related. Even the accuracy is better on the iPhone.)

Cons:
  • Mediocre battery life
(Even with my battery case I've found that the battery life on the iPhone is much better than the S6. My S6 would grizzle battery juice like a tractor trailer. Fast charging is the only thing that saved the phone. I'm even questioning the use of the battery case I bought and may rock a heavy duty case for protection.)
  • Screen getting outdated compared to competition
(When I got my wife's iPhone 6s on launch day I was actually impressed with the screen vs. the S6. I prefer the whites on the iPhone more than the Amoled display. And while I wanted 1080p on the 6S last year I'm kind of glad that they stuck with the lower resolution. You can't tell the difference while using the phone at normal distances and the phone should be faster than the 6S plus with the lower resolution.)
  • 3D Touch not that useful yet
(I agree 100%. Sometimes you even forget that it's there. Maybe Apple should add a general context menu and developers can just add on it. At least do something other than jiggle when the app is not supported yet.)
  • Still no Optical Image Stabilization with the 6s photos
(Agree again. Should have been there last year while making the back flush with the camera lens.)
  • iOS is getting old
(As an Android user for years I can't say that it's old to me. I bought a iPad Air 2 a few months ago and love it. So much that I wanted the same consistency with my phone. To me it's a new experience still. I'm not even interested in jailbreaking the thing yet.)

My additional con's are:

• Base 16GB model. Apple is clearly forcing people to the 64GB.
  • Apple should have made the back flush with the camera while increasing battery size. The phone feels way to slippery in hand. So what if your case does not fit. Even with the small increase the majority of water tight cases don't fit.
  • And how about a black face with a gold body? There's only one black model and it sucks.

Otherwise I'm still enjoying my iPhone and I'm not missing Android. It's also refreshing to know that Apple won't release iPhone 7 until fall 2016. With Android there is a flagship getting released every month and it was driving me crazy. I still love Android but at least for the next year I want to experience an iPhone.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
There is no chip issue as far as I'm concerned. So this isn't a con. Also these other things that you mention are only reported by a very small percentage of people here. For the most part all of the reviews that I've seen for the 6S/6S+ have all been very good so far. If your 6 is fine there is nothing wrong with keeping it till the iPhone 7 comes along. I have a 6S Plus on order from Apple. If I don't see a great improvement over the 6 Plus that I'm currently using I'll return it and be perfectly fine waiting for the iPhone 7 as well.

Yeah most of the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive it's just a few reports here and there that have me cautious. Some will problem even improve as later phones go out. I just keep hearing "if you have a 6 it's probably better to just wait for the 7" as well. One thing is I really want to try a plus out as well over the standard size.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I think many of the issues are blown out of proportion.. just like the bendgate last year, which i haven't heard any real issues of - and I have been sleeping on my 6 a couple of times, by mistake :p

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah most of the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive it's just a few reports here and there that have me cautious. Some will problem even improve as later phones go out. I just keep hearing "if you have a 6 it's probably better to just wait for the 7" as well. One thing is I really want to try a plus out as well over the standard size.
If you are thinking of trying out the Plus model, now is a good time. Last year I bought the 6 and the Plus size. Turned out that 6 sat in the drawer most of the time. The 6S size is ok, but I don't like that it lacks OIS, 720P screen only, and has less battery life than the 6S Plus.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I can't help wondering whether the next iPhone 7 is gonna have a smaller footprint... the current iPhone 6S+ is bigger than a Galaxy Note :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't help wondering whether the next iPhone 7 is gonna have a smaller footprint... the current iPhone 6S+ is bigger than a Galaxy Note :eek:

By a hairs breadth. I have the Note 5, S6 Edge +, 6S Plus and Moto X 2015 and they're all much of muchness with the Note 5 & S6 Edge near identical height and width to the 6S + and the Moto X Style being slightly less tall but thicker.

But arguing toss over size of any of these size wise is a waste of time as they're so close to each other. Likewise the .2" screen difference between the 6S + and the others is so incredibly minor in actual usage.

If anything - ergonomically the Moto X Style / Pure is the most natural and balanced in hand over the others. Despite not being as thin as any of the other three devices.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
The 6S Plus only "appears" larger than the Note 5 due to its larger Bezzels. In reality, the Note 5 is larger with its 5.7" screen VS the 6S Plus's 5.5" screen. I really hope Apple trims down the Bezzels on next years iPhone 7.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
The 6S Plus only "appears" larger than the Note 5 due to its larger Bezzels. In reality, the Note 5 is larger with its 5.7" screen VS the 6S Plus's 5.5" screen. I really hope Apple trims down the Bezzels on next years iPhone 7.

Exactly.. there is room for improvement on that front. If that happens, I could be interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.