My iPhone 7 Plus just died suddenly - help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by downtherabbithole, Feb 18, 2017.

1. downtherabbithole macrumors member

downtherabbithole

One minute I was messaging a friend, hit the lock button then a couple minutes later tried to unlock it. Nothing. A hard reset doesn't work (yes I am holding volume down too) and iTunes won't recognise it. The vibrate switch isn't working and I've tried calling it and it goes straight to voicemail so I don't think it's just like the screen has quit on me suddenly. I've also tried booting into recovery mode via iTunes but nothing. I'm thinking that the battery might drain even if it's not on then when I plug it in it'll reboot itself? As long as it's not the battery itself that's died of course. Any help is gratefully received!

2. fyun89 macrumors 6502

I know you'd be unimpressed by my answer, but I think you should just take it to Apple Store since it should still have be covered by a warranty.
    Sometimes trying to fix things yourself may damage it even further. it's another reason you should just take it as is to get the warranty fix.

3. downtherabbithole thread starter macrumors member

downtherabbithole

Thanks for the reply. It's basically bricked so unless there's some way I can get my MBP to recognize it I don't think I'll have much choice. What a great way to spend a Sunday, in a mall :(

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Did you drop the phone or subject to it water at all? Strange that the Phone just completely stopped on you. Not that it can't happen, but it seems rare that these occurrences can happen without having some sort of mishap.

5. downtherabbithole thread starter macrumors member

downtherabbithole

Nothing whatsoever, I have dropped it a few times but not for a while. Never been exposed to water. It's a mystery to me, it seems very unusual especially for a new phone. I'll report back!

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Good luck. Let us know what you find out. Hopefully it's repairable.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I know it seems like the end of the world but you will survive Sunday. Get it to an Apple Store, hope you have been backing up.

8. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Was it in a case when dropped? Is there physical damage that Apple could blame it not working on you?

9. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Genius bar and let us know the result. Thanks.

10. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

When they are working on your phone at the Apple Store go to the food court and get some pizza at Sbarros. That always makes my trip to a mall worth it.

11. NougatDude Suspended

Sbarros

12. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

That makes me think of the Annapolis, MD store.

13. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Not totally unheard of. My third gen iPod touch died 10 months in but Apple wouldn't replace it because they said I had damaged it despite no proof in the matter because the LSI in the headphone jack was missing. Bad excuse but it happened. Hopefully they don't play that game with you. I was literally just listening to music in the car and went to lock it and it never woke back up.

It's the only device I've ever had die on me though. Still have a flawless 3GS that I still put my SIM card in and use every few weeks to unplug from social media. And my 2nd gen iPod touch still running 2.2.1 runs perfectly fine too. Even the battery is solid nearly 9 years in. It's just a toss up with electronics sometimes.

14. skpawar1305 macrumors newbie

skpawar1305

Same thing happened to me yesterday. What was Apple's reply to you?