my iPhone 7 won't charge when my macbook goes to sleep

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Benk3350, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Benk3350 macrumors member

Jun 19, 2010
    I have an iPhone 7+ and a 15" 2013 Macbook. I have always used my Macbook to charge my iPhones overnight. However, just in the last few days, this has not been working for me. I will plug my iPhone into my Macbook and it will charge. However, once the macbook goes to sleep due to activity after a few minutes, the phone stops charging. Also, when I plug my iPhone into my macbook and then close the lid, the iPhone will charge for about the same few minutes, and then stop charging.

I basically have to continually wake up my Macbook constantly to charge my phone. And therefore, when I go to bed, I do not wake up with a charged phone as it had only been charging for a few minutes.

Is there a setting in either the iPhone or the Macbook that can fix this? I've been using this charging method for years, and its frustrating that it no longer works. I know I can plug into the wall, but I'd much rather use my Macbook to charge the phone. There's got to be something I can do to make this work again right?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
  2. chscag macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There are several things you can try: 1. System Preferences, Energy Saver. Make sure you do not check the box that says "Put Hard Disks to sleep when possible". Not sure if that will work, but give it a try.

2. Download and use "Caffeine" which will prevent your MacBook from sleeping when closing the lid.