my iPhone 7 won't charge when my macbook goes to sleep

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Benk3350, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Benk3350 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 7+ and a 15" 2013 Macbook. I have always used my Macbook to charge my iPhones overnight. However, just in the last few days, this has not been working for me. I will plug my iPhone into my Macbook and it will charge. However, once the macbook goes to sleep due to activity after a few minutes, the phone stops charging. Also, when I plug my iPhone into my macbook and then close the lid, the iPhone will charge for about the same few minutes, and then stop charging.

I basically have to continually wake up my Macbook constantly to charge my phone. And therefore, when I go to bed, I do not wake up with a charged phone as it had only been charging for a few minutes.

Is there a setting in either the iPhone or the Macbook that can fix this? I've been using this charging method for years, and its frustrating that it no longer works. I know I can plug into the wall, but I'd much rather use my Macbook to charge the phone. There's got to be something I can do to make this work again right?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

There are several things you can try: 1. System Preferences, Energy Saver. Make sure you do not check the box that says "Put Hard Disks to sleep when possible". Not sure if that will work, but give it a try.

2. Download and use "Caffeine" which will prevent your MacBook from sleeping when closing the lid.