My iPhone 8 Logic

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vin1717, Sep 15, 2017.

1. vin1717 macrumors member

Not sure if there is a thread out there on this already, but I wonder if anyone out there agrees with me or if I am totally crazy....

I pre-ordered my 256gb iPhone 8 this morning (unnecessarily at 3 AM EST).

I currently have a 128gb 6s on the IUP, which I unfortunately had to purchase a month before the iPhone 7 launched, so I still had another year worth of payments left. To me, an upgrade is worthwhile for much better internals, wireless charging, fast charging capability, and increased storage for the same monthly payment.

I really like the design of the X (minus the notch) and I wrestled with the decision for a couple of days whether to go with the 8 or wait of the X, and ultimately this is what I came up with:

1) Price - While it does look sharp, I cannot justify the additional $200 dollars for a phone that is essentially the same internally. Yes the screen and camera are upgrades, but I am perfectly fine with LCD and single lens.
    2) Face ID - I really can't buy into this. Maybe I am crazy, but the ability to unlock the phone as your picking it up is more convenient than having to hold it up and then swipe. Also, with this being a new technology for Apple, there are bound to be some bumps in the road that need to be corrected over several software updates.
    3) Timing - The pre-order window is already delayed for more than a month, with severe supply constraints forecasted. I am going to guess, if you order the phone >2 minutes after pre-orders open, you will not see that phone until early December at the earliest. While the waiting isn't a problem, the timing leads me to my next point.
    4) 2018 Update - Next September they will probably be releasing an updated version of the X, hopefully with touch ID built into the screen (as was originally intended), improved face ID, and maybe even a lower price tag (okay, that last one is a bit crazy). Considering the delayed release this year, that would require IUP participants to buy out the remaining 2-3 months worth of payments to be eligible to upgrade.
    5) Reliability - While the design is now a bit stale with same form factor for 4 years, the 8 is perfected with very little uncertainty and touch ID is a reliable and proven authentication technology. Aesthetically, the glass back is a nice touch. IMO, the roll-out of the X feels a bit rushed and has the potential for some quality issues.

I know this is essentially my justification for holding onto an 8 for a year until a better X comes out next year, but I am curious to hear others thoughts.

2. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

Like you, I still had a 6S, Plus in my case. My biggest issue is that the battery feels like it has degraded a decent amount n the ~1.5 years I've had it. Also, damn this phone is scratched up both on the aluminum sides and the screen itself. I must have some really sandy pockets :(. My reasoning for get the iPhone 8+ is that it will basically be the same speed as the X, maybe even faster since it's a lower resolution, the format is familiar to me and it will most likely have the best battery life. Like you, I think the X is still unproven and I don't want to be the beta tester, especially not for $200+ extra and having to wait 1-3 months.

I don't think anyone should feel bad about getting an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus. We all have our reasons for buying phones, some like to buy a new phone every other week, others wait 4+ years.

3. gurase macrumors 6502

I have a 6s+ and I'm skipping this year. I was considering the 8+ for the reasons you mentioned, but in the end I just decided it wasn't worth the money for me. I know it's the same monthly payment, but you're tacking on another year of payments.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I see the word "worth" as very subjective. I think everyone will find different appreciations from upgrading to the 6s Plus to the 8 Plus. Ultimately, it's what someone see's in the upgrade.

5. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

You clearly resolved your dilemma. Your logic served you well.

6. spybyscript macrumors newbie

spybyscript

The only thing you missed is the crazy safe area that developers are supposed to adhere to. :) That blue space, which is smaller than an iPhone 8's viewable area, is where app content can live. The white area is supposed to be reserved for limited area / touch to bring up dock or swipe actions. The red is margin area you're supposed to give on top of the white sections. Apps are going to have crazy borders on 3 sides in most cases to avoid breaking developer guidelines, except for a view exceptions such as photos/videos which can expand to fill.

1*h_SLDHYlBx6IcIzinHT5CQ.png

7. Damstr macrumors 6502

I am going for an X from a 7 Plus. I'm not really worried about FaceID. Although all the demos I watched of the X demonstrated high success rate, the room is very well lit which is basically an ideal place for FaceID. I am curious as to how well low light FaceID functions. If the infrared+infared spotlight works well I suspect it won't be an issue. I wear sunglasses occasionally so I am curious to see how that plays out.

I mainly am just excited about the small form factor and similar size screen compared to my 7 Plus. I'm not really worried about the reduced battery life. I will be picking up a Qi charger for sure which means it will spend a lot of the day on the Qi charger fully charged. Because of wireless charging I suspect on average the X will retain higher battery life overall compared to my 7 Plus having to plug it in to charge which I get lazy with.

8. psac, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Exactly this. The usable area is nearly the same as the 8 anyway. I ordered the 8 this morning, coming from a 6 it's a big jump. I'll wait for the XI or XII for when the FaceID technology is perfected, AND they have a better solution for the notch. The three big losses are the better quality screen, longer battery life, and better camera. Those three things ARE big things, but not enough for me to deal with all the other things.

9. gurase macrumors 6502

Yes, agreed. Unfortunately I think payment plans make it easy to skew the real cost of an upgrade. It may appear to cost less than it actually does because it's spread out over time, causing people to justify things they otherwise wouldn't get.

10. Chronus macrumors regular

The 8 and 8+ are well matured, tried and tested and perfectly formed iphones.

I’m not ready to buy into a beta iPhone with beta software and gimmick features like animoji.

11. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

I'm moving from a 6 (I was trying to make a big dent in my mortgage/car loan the last few years) so I pre-ordered a 8 Plus today. My 6 is circling the drain as we speak. It's so bad I'd be forced to get an interim phone before waiting for the X to get to my door. Considering 6->8 Plus, I think I'll have plenty of features to keep me happy. I can wait for the Xs or whatever.

12. vin1717 thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't even aware of this one. Makes me even more comfortable with my decision :)

13. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

Plus size screen in 4.7 body is all the upgrade I need. I'd get it just for that feature alone.