My iphone almost melted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by franzmueller, Aug 15, 2009.

1. franzmueller macrumors regular

:confused:

Here´s the story ....

Drove to my local beach to see if I could kite a bit , sunny day and hot here in South of Spain , no wind ... so grab my phone to check out the wind forecast and found my iphone really hot ( on the upper half of the unit ) I first thought it had to do with the fact that it was attached to the front window mount ? and the sun hit it quite a bit so I left the phone for about 15 min in a shade ? shadow area but when I got it in my hands the unit was still really hot , suddenly from 50% charges it appears the warning that I only have 20% charge and started looking for a web page when the warning appears again that I only have 10% charge , the phone in the mean time was getting hotter and hotter so I decided to turn it off , left it near the air-con until I arrived home and restored it .

This happened 3 weeks ago and since the restore the iphone is working as always but today I was reading an article about an exploded iphone in France and started thinking that probably my phone was on the best way to melt that day ?

Software problem ? I have no idea what happened but got me really scared .

Anyone else with a similar situation ? should I send a report t Apple about what happened ?

Saludos

Franz

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps it was simply too much heat from the sun. :)

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Answered your own question right there.

4. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Yes look at the stats here for the optimum operating temp

* Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F
    (0° to 35° C)
    * Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F
    (-20° to 45° C)
    * Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    * Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Outside of that you risk your iphone being ruined.

I live in AZ and in the summer it's at LEAST 105 F if not more (we get 115 or higher easily) I make sure that my iPhone is NEVER in direct sunlight because of this.

I suggest next time you probably do the same.

5. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Don´t think so ..... drive quite a bit using the iphone as navi , taking calls etc and it does get warm but NEVER hot that you can´t touch it .( own the iphone since almost one year ....)

Keeping the unit in an air conditioned car for 1/2 hour without use and the f*** phone never cooled down .

As said .... turned it off , waited an hour , restored and all was fine afterwards .

Not even when charging and playing games at the same time it gets so hot .

Anyway ... hope it never happens again

Saludos

Franz

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

I guess some of you didn't see the part where he had it in the shade for a while and it was still hot. www.hookedonphonics.com give it a shot.

My 3gs gets hot sometimes with charging which isn't cool. It does have a few cracks in the housing so in a few months I will swap it out so I guess it's not a huge deal.

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

First of all, update to 3.0 already and you won't get that pesky 10% battery alert, haha ... Man, I truly miss that alert.

I think you should bring it in, I have heard of problems with overheating, and Apple is working on this problem with 3.1 ... Hopefully this is legit.
    How long have your had your iPhone 3G?

8. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

...I still get it...

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm... Perhaps a whopping 15 minutes is not enough for the phone to cool down after being heated to a high temperature by the sun. Perhaps you should try your own advice. :p

In any case it does seem to be a pattern that observations of overheating seem to come from hot, sunny climates. Perhaps the heat triggers some sort of exothermic chemical reaction in the phone.

10. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Were there quite a bit of bikini girls waltzing around the sand playing volleyball?