My iPhone backup is apparently corrupted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by veruska, Sep 19, 2011.

1. veruska macrumors newbie

Mail, YouTube and Safari started crashing on my iPhone. Took it to Genius Bar and they gave me a new phone. Once at home, I restored the backup and then the same apps started crashing again. I was told on the Apple Forum that my backup maybe corrupted, even though it was backed up before the problems started.

I was suggested to forget about the backup and start from scratch.

I don't have MobileMe on this iPhone.

I have my photos on iPhoto, I know I can get the apps again from iTunes Store. The only thing I'm really concerned are my contacts. How can I download the contacts to my computer, so that I can import them after I set up the new iPhone. I don't trust that backup/restore thingy anymore and I'm afraid to sync somewhere else and lose it.

Is there an "export vCard" function that I could use from iPhone?

Any hint will be mostly appreciated.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Apps like TouchCopy (Windows) and PhoneView (Mac) will allow you to save contacts, texts, and voicemail to your computer outside of an iTunes backup. They're worth looking into.

I believe you can also sync contacts with Gmail, but as I haven't done that personally, I'll defer to someone else on that subject. Good luck though!

4. err404, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

Try a reset on you device. This will wipe much of the configuration data, but not your app data. It has fixed some similar instability issues for my phone in the past w/o needing to resort to a full rebuild.
    Settings->General->Reset all Settings.

5. veruska thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, guys. I'll try everything suggested.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Both programs definitely usable to the OP, and then he can add all his contacts via compressing them all to a VCard or whatever as he mentioned to Gmail and then set up Gmail as an exchange account.