My iPhone battery life fluctuates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reebzor, Mar 30, 2009.

1. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

So here's the deal. On a normal day, I leave 3g on all the time, never use wifi, send a few texts, maybe take a call or two, don't really play games or use any apps. It pretty much just sits in my pocket. Now I've noticed that my battery life fluctuates greatly on a week by week basis. I get up at 7am and go to bed (dock my iphone) at around 11pm. A few weeks ago, I would go to bed with my iphone at about 50-60% battery, which I feel is pretty good. Last week my battery would die at around 9pm, like battery completely drained. Now this week I'm managing to have about 20-25% battery before I go to bed. I havent really installed anything new, I havent changed how much or how often I use the phone or any unusal activity which could possibly explain the fluctuation. Has anybody else experienced problems like this? I mean, it's not really a problem, I would just like to know what's going on with my phone. Thanks.

2. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Could you accidently be running something without you knowing that is draining the battery. Did you happen to upgrade to 3.0?

3. reebzor thread starter macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I am running 2.2.1 and I thought that nothing would be running in the background. Actually, my exchange account is set to push, I took my server down a few days ago to make some changes and I havent brought it up yet (I don't use it for email, just really for backing up my calendar and contacts). Maybe since the phone can't reach the server, it just keeps trying and trying even though I am not making any changes. Could this be the problem?

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I couldn't tell you but i've read on other threads that the iPhone keeps trying to get through even if it fails - this drains the battery.

5. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

reebzor...I have been testing the battery and reporting the results HERE. The test results are on page 1, bottom of first entry.

I recommend that you remove all 3rd party apps from your iPhone and start by adding one at a time back on your iPhone and test it.

My first culprit was Google Mobile. Once these apps are updated to work with 3.0 which probably won't happen for a while due to beta updates, then the issues should be resolved. If you find an app that causes problems notify the dev so that he knows what to look for.

This could be a 2.2.1 problem as well. Either way look at my test and try the same to see where your problem is.