My iphone came back from apple service broken

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Penne, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Penne macrumors newbie

3 days ago i sent my iphone 5 to apple (japan) using the sleep button replacement program. When it arrvied today however, the screen was black and it didnt turn on. Seems like the screen is broken because i can hear sounds etc.
    About 3 months ago i had icracked fix my broken screen while i was in the states and it was working fine up until apple touched it. There was a note in the package together with the phone that said they couldnt fix it because my iphone was non-working.
    They have, however, played around with my phone since when i turned it off, it was at the setup screen and now it seems to be at the home screen (i use my wife's phone to compare the screens since i cant see it, but i can control it). When i looked at the repair status page it said "issue confirmed. Prepare for repair" or something like that, and then for 1 day it said "repair in progress".

Was just wondering if there's anything i can do about this. I took some photos of the phone they day before i sent it to apple, so maybe i can use that as evidence, i don't know.
    Any advice appreciated!

(Sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tounge)

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If Apple repaired your broken screen officially, then they should be replacing your phone.

If, as I suspect, it was done unofficially (since I believe JPN phones can't be serviced in the USA through Apple), then you're SOL. The terms you agreed to before sending your phone in will state that if your phone has been modified/repaired by a third party, there's nothing they can do.

Look at it this way - say you had your phone repaired at a third party, and they used a lesser-quality screen with weak cables (which is normally the case - the failure rate for "copy" screens is much higher than OEM). When Apple opened your phone and disconnected the screen, the cable broke. Is that really Apple's fault?

3. Penne thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok. I didnt know that.
    Guess ill use the warranty i got on the screen replacement then

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Although I agree with it not being Apple's 'fault,' here's my issue with that:
    If you 'fix' something, you TEST it. If it doesn't work, you start over.
    If you refuse to fix something, you send DOCUMENTATION stating why you didn't fix the item.