My iPhone Car Mount (pics)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by GimmeSlack12, Jun 29, 2009.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So my ideal car iPhone setup was to have a mount that would enable a GPS-esque functionality. This was my primary goal, as I think texting while driving is easiest when the device is in your hand (or not done at all since I'm a law abiding Californian ;) ).

I bought the iGrip Custom Mount for $19.99 and this is how I have mounted it. Have not driven with it much yet, so I will hold off on my impressions. Since there is no GPS apps yet I will be using Maps for impressions.

Update: In a quick attempt to hit my blinker I swung my hand a bit wide and popped this thing right off the dash. I've put it back on but moved it away from the wheel a little. If this keeps happening it might be a deal breaker.

Attached Files:

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

SVT? Nice! Color me jealous, i'm sick of my SE :)

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You know it!
    I love this car.

Attached Files:

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Nice set up OP. I'm getting too impatient for the TBT apps too, well except for those 2 that was released, I'm eager for Tomtom's app and mount.

5. Hbcyclone macrumors newbie

I personally would never mount my iPhone in the front of the vent like that. Not sure about SF area but here in the North East when it is hot and humid outside the min you turned off your A/C and get out of the car there will be some condensation on the screen perhaps some on the water sensor.

If you don’t plan to have the cold air from A/C coming from that vent then it should be okay.

This time of the year my glasses always get foggy when I step out from my car after a long drive home. The A/C didn’t even blow directly in to my face.

6. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

California gets hot, but not that humid. I slightly thought about the placement in front of the vent but only cause it would block the air from getting to me. After a few drives this "concern" vanished.

I've been to the South and to the East Coast during the summer (D.C. & NYC), the humidity you experience is nearly unbearable for me.

7. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

8. awad macrumors member

[​IMG]

here's mine. you might want to try the kensington mount. works really well, a little wobbly.

9. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That's fairly similar. I had originally attached mine to my windshield but the angle and height that I had to put it at made my arm tired and it was wobbly as hell. Are there any tips or major impressions (what works best/worst?) that you've had Awad?

I just ordered a car charger for the the phone for $3 (I love the internets).

10. B-Ri macrumors member

those kensington mounts eventually burn+melt and fall off. Whatever they have holding the suction cup to the plastic burns and turns to ash.

11. awad macrumors member

its very close to the steering wheel, very easy to reach and access. it's wobbly but it's not that bad. ive only had it on for a couple of days now just to try out with the AT&T navigator software. as far as the mounts burning, i've had a couple of suction mounts do the same, i just take it off if im parking in the sun for a while and i park it in my garage at night.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

unrelated, but thanks for buying an American car!
    (I'm from Michigan. We're screwed)

13. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

I have the Kensington mount also. I love it but the last few days the adhesive is melting off. I'm just waiting for it to fall off, I don't put the phone in it anymore. It is a great mount but just can't handle the Texas heat. :(

14. Eallan macrumors 6502

It's been ridiculously hot lately in texas. 100 everyday sucks.

15. paul100 macrumors newbie

Here is my review: kensington mount is safe for the iPhone and comfortable to us when compared to the iGrip Custom Mount as far as I've seen.

16. ToddJ macrumors 6502

17. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

Forget all those mounts, I strongly recommend you try Brodit, a little more expensive but worth it:

www.proclipusa.com

18. jcochran macrumors newbie

For those of you with Kensington mounts falling off, stop in at your local auto supply (PEP Boys, Autozone, etc.) and look for replacement adhesive. Common issue for lots of windshield mounts.

Bracketron and ProClip make decent mounts, but I've always been really satisfied with RAM Mounts for almost anything. Lots of options for mounting on anything, though not the cheapest.

Jeff

19. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

As an update I have gone to using the suction cup to put my mount on my windshield. No matter what I tried, the adhesives will not stick for very long. All it takes is a sunny day to make the interior of the car hot enough for the adhesive to come off.

20. lollicup macrumors regular

There are really only two options for people who live in california that want a completely stable iphone mount ( california law only allows people to mount devices in the far lower corners of their cars)

A) Pro-clip

+Stable, looks OEM, no need to drill holes in your dash
    - EXPENSIVE ($60-80 for a mount is quite expensive)

B) Ram-mount

+ INCREDIBLY stable ( when drilled into your dash) several option, cheap
    - Not the prettiest, some people do not want to drill and mount things on their dahs

Every other "iphone mount" is wobbly. You want something that will not move when you are typing on it, or swiping your finger ( when you are using the GPS )

If you have a new car and don't want to hurt the resale value, get a Pro-clip
    If your car is older, and don't care about the resale value , get the Ram-Mount

I love my Ram-Mount, it has an adjustment knob ( loose = small adjustment, tight = completely solid).

21. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I just posted a thread with a description and pictures of my Custom install of PED3-Auto Mount from ThoughtOut.biz in Nissan Versa (w/ photos). Even without doing the custom installation, I think its a mount worth considering. Check it out if you're interested.

22. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well, after having my original iGrip stolen after my car was broken into, and after having a cheap Chinese knock off literally just fall apart on me I have bought another iGrip.

It's been nearly a year since I've had one of these mounts but I've been too lazy (and cheap) to buy another.

23. JM2 macrumors member

Added the pics of the ProClip installs of my '00 VW Passat and '02 Dodge Dakota.

Attached Files:

24. Rjholmes99 macrumors newbie

Love the spiderpodium too

I got the spiderpodium as well, and It works great as a car mount. I plan on buying some as christmas gifts this year