My iPhone Complaints

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pw1981, Aug 27, 2008.

1. pw1981 macrumors member

So I have been giving the iPhone 3G a fair chance for about 48 hours. I have developed a list of issues that I have with the phone.

1. Reception. Its really bizarre that in places where I know there is an excellent quality signal, the 3G just doesn't work. No data, failed calls, etc. These places had no problems with my Moto Q9h or older V3xx. Also, lots of dropped calls, delayed VM notifications, etc.

2. Bluetooth. Or should I say lack of BT. I can't really say this is a complaint because I knew this going in. But I never realized how much I used OPP to send pics and such to other people.

3. The MMS debacle. I am with the crowd who find the absence of this feature unacceptable.

4. Web browser is useless to download any kind of video. I have tried to view .mov, .m4p, .mpg, and .wmv files and ALL give error messages saying "Safari cannot download the file". I can live with the wmv file issues but being restricted to only YouTube for entertainment is annoying.

5. No file browser. I can't save an email attachment then compose a new message to someone else and attach a document to that new email.

6. Lag, Lag , Lag. But thats been discussed ad nausium.

In all, I REALLY want to like the phone. Its a cool phone and web browsing is really nice, but it just seems limited from what I am used to.

I am strongly considering returning the phone and going back to the Moto Q9h and being done with it. At this point, the iPhone just isn't worth its cost.

Any feedback on these issues? Anything I am doing wrong?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Everything you've mention has been talked about. At the end of your post you ask what you are doing wrong, , almost all of those problems you mentioned have nothing to do with you.

3. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Do you really think the Moto phones have a better interface and better features than the iPhone overall?

I had a Razr prior to my iPhone, and the Razr pales in comparison to the iPhone, even with the current bugs. The iPhone isn't perfect, but, I don't know of any phone that is.

4. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I agree with you on some points...some things are just up to user preference. Most of what you mentioned however should be fixed with a VALID update. The updates so far have pretty much been useless. I figure the iPhone is well worth the price, especially once you jailbreak it...you open up a never ending world of development! But most of what you mention should be taken care of...The MMS thing really pisses me off too! I just don't get that!:mad:

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Tons of feedback on these issues; search the forum.

Other than not searching the forum? :rolleyes:

6. pw1981 thread starter macrumors member

Ahh yes, Going to the search and typing "iPhone Issues" will return a manageable number of responses that I can read in a reasonable amount of time. :rolleyes:

7. Rigsby macrumors regular

You could have a poke around the App Store and find something that addresses your file browsing requirements (although I don't know an app that could do anything with mail attachments) but I think you may find yourself stuck with the others.

Alternatively, you could jailbreak and you might find apps that that address some of the other issues.

By the looks of it though, the iPhone just doesn't meet your needs and you would be best off returning it (in fact, given how well documented these shortcomings are I'm surprised you bought one in the first place).

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your sort of issues are likely the particular phone. Have you tried to get it replaced, because it sounds like your 3G is FUBAR.

It would be very nice to have OPP and AD2P, complain enough on the Apple Website, and we may see it.

MMS is old technology. There are plenty of work arounds.

This sounds like a phone problem, connection issue, or a server issue. I routinely use mov, mp4, m4v, mpg(1), wav, and mp3 files through Safari. The only problem I have had is when the MIME types are not setup correctly on the server or they use crappy PHP download scripts.

Simply forward the message to the new recipients, and erase the old message text. It has never been a problem for me.

I have found that most lag is due to either corrupt files or large databases (such as 1000+ contacts or several months of SMS). I can say, that I have zero lag issues as of 2.0.2.

I would get the phone replaced, as I suspect that most of your problems have to deal with the actual phone, not the platform.

TEG