Resolved My iPhone died today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kwill, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Kwill, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Absolutely the worst timing. I was hoping my iPhone 2G would hold out until the iPhone 5 was released. First the Wi-Fi became flaky. Then a mysterious black mark began expanding the width of the LED screen. Now the battery after hours in the cradle can't get beyond a 10-13% charge (red sliver).

So on the eve of the 2011 iPhone 5 introduction, I find myself in need of an iPhone something... 3G, 3GS, 4. Ebay prices for each are north of $200. AT&T has a 3GS for $49 with 2-yr contract.

I'm trying to think rationally. Maybe the $49 3GS could be a stopgap until next year's iPhone when 4G should be available?

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Try to go to apple and see the cost of repair? That way you get a new iPHone 2g and no contract expansion.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sad sad day. :(

If I were in your position, I'd get a used iPhone 4. Rumors are the 5 isn't going to come out until September's end anyway. By that time, you can sell the 4 off and get the 5 at contract price.

4. swiftbmx macrumors regular

Get a iPhone 4 16GB refurb from AT&T for $99.

5. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Very upsetting, the 2G was a great iPhone, and even though it was the slowest of them, it was still my all time favorite!

But my advice to you, if you're going to extend your contract, go with the iPhone 4. The 3Gs is a great device, and it is cheaper, but if you want the iPhone 5, and you have to get it off-contract, you will have a greater resale value with the iPhone 4.

But as someone else suggested, go to an Apple store. They may be able to help you, with no contract extension at all.

6. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

I am saddling up to go to AT&T. To keep me as a customer, they may get get creative and hand me something from the back room. Worst case scenario, I guess I could get the 3GS and give it to my wife when I decide to upgrade again. She is on my AT&T mobile account without an iPhone.

7. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

Hmm. I'll have to look for that!

8. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

I went to an Apple Store when the Wi-Fi issues began. They offered to swap it out with a same model replacement for $200.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

10. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Why on earth would you hang on to the same phone for 4 years? You missed out on 2 upgrades. I don't exactly call that intelligent :rolleyes:

11. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

Resolved

Thank everyone for your insightful suggestions. No iPhone 4 refurbs currently available.

Maybe because I shelled out $550 for the privilege. Perhaps it's because I saw greater value in other things (purchased 2 vehicles, 2 wide-format printers, 2 Macs, and an iPad since I purchased the iPhone). It could be the fact that I prefer to surf the web on my iPad and just make, I dunno, phone calls on my iPhone.

At any rate, after visiting AT&T and also speaking with a phone rep, it appears the course of wisdom is to hang onto what I have by any means possible until June, even if it requires a battery booster.

Here's the real kicker: My battery registers a full charge after restarting. Crisis over.

12. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Glad to hear! I was going to ask if I could buy the phone off of you. I have a 3Gs but I love the original much more!

13. cas85 macrumors regular

sorry to hear about your phone. one suggestion is if it's possible for you to live without a smartphone for a couple months, i'd just buy a cheap normal phone so you don't have to commit to any contracts, then if/when the next iPhone comes out you can jump all over it.

if you must have a smartphone, i 2nd the motion to get an iPhone 4 refurb. best balance of cost and it is a great phone.

good luck.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Great to hear that buddy.
    But for those whose iPhones died out, get a replacement smartphone to tie you over until the 5 if you're waiting for it. It doesn't make sense to get trapped with the iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 at this point.

15. Kwill thread starter macrumors 68000

Kwill

What was most interesting was that the rep was confident of a June release. And yet unpublished features were revealed. ;)

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't worry, AT&T reps know absolutely nothing about new iPhone releases.

17. ani23 macrumors 6502

They still have 2g phones? Hey get the replacement and ask for a selaed box. Sell it on eBay as a Collector item. I have seen sealed ones go for 700.

Profit.

18. sm.wilson macrumors member

The replacements at the retail stores are unfinished. They come in a black box.

Basically a new phone, just not "finished goods."

(have had my various phones swapped about 7 times).

19. ani23 macrumors 6502

Sorry what's not finished goods mean? They don't have a body or something or just no proper box

20. sm.wilson macrumors member

Means its just the phone, with no manuals or packaging.

21. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

If you downgrade from an iPhone, I think AT&T won't let you keep your iPhone data plan -- meaning you'll lose the ability to grandfather your unlimited plan to the next upgrade.

Best bet, if you need a phone to get you to the iP5, is to go onto eBay or Craigslist and buy a used 3G or 3GS -- I've seen them selling for ~$100-$125 in good/fair condition. When you upgrade to the iP5, sell it again. You keep your iPhone plan while also avoiding having to sign a new contract.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just curious: do you still havet hat black mark on your screen that you mentioned earlier?

Can you take photos of it? I'd be interested to see what that's about.

23. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

My suggestion have someone you trust replace the battery in it and see if that fixes the problem. I have a blackjack I could throw your way for really cheap while you fix the 2g.