My iPhone dilemma... what do you think I should do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by matthews, Mar 25, 2009.

1. matthews macrumors regular

So, I've had an iPhone 3G since launch, and have had to get it replaced once due to the battery failing. I purchased the Apple Care though, so it was replaced no problem.

In the last few months, I noticed that my phone had been having trouble connecting to WiFi. It would still work sporadically, so I just ignored it, but today I decided to finally just go get it checked out, and maybe they could fix or replace the phone, since I'm still under Apple Care.

So I get to the Genius Bar, and after looking at my phone and seeing the problem, he tells me that the water damage indicator is showing, and automatically dismisses me.

The thing is, I've never dropped my phone in water or anything like that. I'm kind of OCD about my phone and keeping it safe (always in a case, never in harms way).

My problem is, I feel like now I will never be able to get service on my phone, because anything that goes wrong they are just going to attribute to the so-called "water damage" and nothing will ever happen short of me paying them 200 dollars for a replacement.

The phone works absolutely perfect other than the WiFi... and I'm willing to deal with the WiFi not working great, but down the road I feel like my Apple Care is now worthless.

Can I get my money back for the Apple Care?
    I feel like I'm screwed.

2. matthews thread starter macrumors regular

Wow I just noticed someone is having the exact same problem.

Something's got to be up with these water damage sensors.

3. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Why hasn't any dodgy Chinese people been able to source these water sensors to sell on the internet for people to replace them before sending their phone off to Apple? lol

I think if someone managed to get hold of them they would make a killing, paying $10 for a sensor or paying $200 for a replacement. I know which one i'd choose.

Only down side - you have to take the phone apart and risk damaging it even more but hey, who said things in life were easy :D

4. matthews thread starter macrumors regular

Seriously.

I just don't understand how they can leave you high and dry in a situation where water damage has clearly not affected your phone, but because the little red line is there they won't give you the time of day on it.