My iPhone gets HOT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glide, Jul 10, 2007.

1. glide macrumors regular

When I am using the ipod featuere my iPhone is getting HOT. Seriously hot.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It is fine when I use it in phone mode or when browsing the web, but it seems if I am listening to music for more than an hour it is going to melt down on me.

This can't be good for the unit. Usually electronics + heat = bad

2. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

That would be a nice feature in North Dakota!

3. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Mine gets warm while charging but nothing crazy.

4. kkachurak macrumors regular

That used to happen to my iPod Shuffle (2nd Gen) right before it would die. I went through 5 of those suckers before I gave up and sold the newest one on eBay.

Apple was great about replacing it for free, though.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

That's not normal. Are you leaving the screen on? Is it using the speakers or headphones? Any reports I've seen of HOT iphones (and the one or two times mine has gotten toasty) have been while browsing the web or using the phone against your ear for an extended period. So if we can identify what processory/battery intensive activity is going on there might be a solution. If not, take it to a genius bar. Something's not right.

6. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

Mine gets slightly warm while using the ipod or doing heavy web browsing, but it doesn't get hot. Run it straight for an hour and leave it on as you drive to the store and ask for a replacement. That way you'll be able to demonstrate how hot it actually gets.

7. woodbutcher macrumors regular

woodbutcher

My iphone gets warm while charging, but nothing compared to my mac book pro first gen before the firmware updates. It would get to 80-85c before the fans would kick in

8. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

mine gets hot after/during a long phone call!
    slightly warm when browsing,

9. docc macrumors 6502

This happened with one of my iPhones. I took it back to Apple and the dude at the Genius bar was surprised to see it get hot. Well, long story short, i walked out with a new iPhone in less than 10 minutes.

They are trying to find out what the source of all the problems are which is why they aren't asking too many questions while offering replacements. They can't afford to have dissatisfied customers ;)

Cheers.

10. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

mine got warm while doing some heavy browsing on WIFI at a five guy's burger joint. i think part of the reason is the place was warm but i did notice the iphone got warmer than usual.

11. thejakill macrumors 6502

thejakill

how is it possible that you had 5 consecutive shuffles that went bad? who has that kind of bad luck?

stay off any airplane i'm on, dude.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I noticed this as well the 2nd day I had the iPhone.

It gets quite warm but nothing too bad. Nothing like my MBP though...THAT GETS HOT :D

As long as it doesn't get any warmer, I can deal with it.

13. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

14. freshwunder macrumors newbie

Mine got really hot today when it froze and I had to do a system restore, it also got uber hot when I was out holding it one day in the heat of the day, hurt to put it up to my face....it needs an air conditioning unit. haha

15. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Mine gets slightly warm after about 20 minutes talking... nothing hot, or even striking..

16. milk242 macrumors 6502a

mine got really hot when i used the dock cable that came with a 30gb video ipod (not charging it in a video ipod dock)

17. glide thread starter macrumors regular

Just as an update....

I was listening to some tunes last night while I was going to sleep. About 3 hours later I stretched out my arm and woke up with a jolt. The ***** thing burned me it was so hot! It didn't leave a mark or anything, but it was enough to wake me out of a dead sleep. After about 20 minutes it cooled down.

I'm taking it back for an exchange today. I don't suppose they swap your flash drive out for you as well as the SIM when they exchange them. Anyone know for sure?

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

They wont swap the flash drive but will probably let you keep your current SIM.

19. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering if anyone noticed their iphones getting fairly warm when plugged in to the wall charger. The best I can describe the temp would be SR MBP idle warm on lap.

20. HkyGrL2 macrumors member

HkyGrL2

my iphone gets hot! especially browsing and listening to my ipod. I bought an incase rubber case and it's helped with that issue! Hopefully, my phone won't get damaged!! [​IMG]

21. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Consider yourself lucky if it;s only mildly hot - my Samsung a920 keypad gets so hot when I'm on the phone I would probably burn my face if I didn't use speaker phone.

22. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Mine will start getting warm after a long session on the web, faster if wifi is on.

23. briananderson macrumors member

Mine got really hot today, while it was in my pocket. I could feel it on my leg. When I took it out, I noticed my battery was completely drained. Ive turned it off and let it cool down. If it happens again, I'll see what Apple can do...

24. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The thing has a processor three times that of the original iMac then a battery and 4 or 8 gigs of flash is crammed into the small little phone. I would only worry once you started having to set it down because of the heat.

25. 2012 macrumors newbie

_________problem fix only reboot your iphone_________

problem fix only reboot your iphone

problem fix only reboot your iphone:D

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: