My iPhone getting spoilt was the best thing that ever happened.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stanny, Apr 17, 2009.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

Recently my iPhone dropped in water and I sent it to the shop so I got myself a really cheap Samsung temporary replacement and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I realized how much more complicated my life became with the iPhone. In the train, in the cab I would be using Safari or playing games and missing everything around me. Every night I would be charging it and it was a chore and I was miserable. Instead of owning the phone, I felt like the phone was owning me.

Now, with my new phone, it does what it does best and what it is suppose to do, basic texting and calls. Full stop. I charge this baby once a week and don't have to worry about the battery running out. It's really small and neat and so much lighter than the iPhone. Now weight and size is no longer a burden. I even struck a conversation with a stranger on the train, something that never happened to me in a long time as I was busy engrossed with my previous device. I also asked for directions instead of relying on the sub-par GPS and wasting time waiting for the slow connection. I feel so much happier. Somehow, the air feels fresher and it's due time I stopped to smelled the roses.

Bye iPhone, you won't be missed.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The weight and size of the iphone is a burden? Are you a hobbit?

3. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Compared to this new little baby of mine of 79 grams, it's as if I have been set free, like a bird from it's cage.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's not the iPhone's fault you decided to ignore the world. You don't HAVE to play games or browse the web using Safari. It's your own fault you got so "engrossed with" it. Again, you had choices but you simply chose to ignore them. No one ever is forced to use GPS instead of asking directions (not as helpful as a GPS however sub-par it may be).

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

How about this:

Carry NO phone. That's right, I said it, no phone. You will be forced to interact with EVERYONE. If you want to talk to your mother, you'll have to form a social chain to shout your message along to her! Think of all the people you will meet! Should you get in a emergency situation, you will perfect your screaming skills as you'll have to rely on them to survive. No burden, no weight! Think of the liberation!

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I'm glad you found a device you like, but it's not really the phone's fault you didn't have the self control to put it down once in awhile, now is it?

Edit: Dah! Beaten by 2 minutes.

7. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it was my fault and I had options, but I was weak and it conquered me. That's what I was going on about. That's why I am so happy that simplicity, had set me free.

8. goingblue macrumors member

Surely you jest, sir.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You can go ahead and BYE your useless iPhone over this way.....:p:p:p:p

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Sounds more like you have control issues. You can't decide that an iPhone wasn't for you. You can't control your use of the iPhone.

But if you're happy, all the power to you. But if you really wanted to scale back, you'd go mobile-free all together.

11. nazuk macrumors 6502

nazuk

Why don't you move to a desert island? That way, you will have even less burdens to deal with. You'd be more happier, and we would feel better for you.

You'll have more time to engage with nature, since you missed it so much whilst you had your iPhone.

I think I smell a troll.

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

You know, I totally agree. Now that I've gone back to using a telegraph for all my communications, I feel completely liberated!

13. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Up until Thursday, I went without a cellphone for 6 years.

Then I got an iPhone.

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

OP:

Tyler Durden would be proud. Seriously, I completely agree. We become slaves to our technology, and I'm as guilty as the next guy. It's pretty ironic how the devices that are designed to connect us (phones, Facebook, whatever) actually drive us apart - but that might be a little to my philosophizing for these forums! :D

15. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Is this an attempt at trolling or....? Do you feel more of a man for not using an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter)?

Why did you get an iPhone in the first place if in the end, you didn't need all the "useless" features it gives you?

I'm just trying to understand this thread and by all means, I can't. :\

16. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Hence the need to blog on a Mac forum. Go go you, you off-the-grid-rebel.

17. neil1980 macrumors 6502

lol at the size and weight of the iphone and charging it every day being a burden.

Im sure 99% of the population have something more to worry about than that

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You know, they say the reason that rich nations are so unhappy is because their people have every other basic need fulfilled. We don't have to worry (for the most part) about hunting for food for basic subsistence, and we don't have to worry (generally) about dying on a daily basis, and so we find other, less tangible things to focus on, like the concept of happiness. As a result, we are the least likely to be happy, because we're in the privileged position to search for what we are arguably unable to define in the first place. And so, we bitch about a variety of things - like our cellphones. In fact, we even observe the paradox of how the cellphone, or any other piece of technology, simplifies and complicates our lives so profoundly... Just a thought.

19. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I completely agree with you. The Iphone can dominate your life. I think this is just the way society is going with i lives being micro managed. I feel alittle chained to my iphone and my imac and my powerbook...wish i could de-clutter my life. I read somewhere that all this tech is dumbing us down. The way we check emails every 10 minutes means we are not taking long enough periods to contemplate an real issues.

Im sure we will have a back to basics renaissance soon enough...anti technology is probably the next trend.

20. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Pfft. I use smoke signals. I feel wayyyy more liberated than you:p

21. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I send Owls to people, or if I need to get a message overseas, a note in a bottle usually works.

22. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

23. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

You know, my first mobile text faster and had a lightning fast interface for simply choosing a name and dialing. My most recent phone has a memory card which slows the whole interface down, I'm forever having to delete texts to speed it up again and it's even crashed on me once or twice, not to mention needs charging almost daily but I wouldn't want to be without google or email.

24. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I must admit to having considerable sympathy with the OP's sentiments!

A few weeks ago, the contract on my Samsung G600 expired and O2 informed me that I was due for an upgrade! I thought little of that because I was quite satisfied with my existing 'phone - it was relatively small, easy to text with and enable me to speak to people plus receive the occasional MMS from my daughter containing photos of her kids etc.

However, a few weeks ago, my daughter asked me if I had upgraded my 'phone. When I said "No" she said that as I was an Apple fan (I've has iMacs and ipods for some years) she was surprised I hadn't considered an iPhone.

That galvanised me into a certain amount of action! - I Googled for reviews, studied the specs and read threads on sites such as this. I even visited my local O2 shop and had a look!! Yes! it was a typical Apple product - beautifully designed, packaged and presented, and, like all Apple products - very easy and intuitive to use. The O2 rep thought it was better than sliced bread! Obviously I was impressed!

The trouble was, it didn't really set my pulse racing! "After all" I said, "it's only a 'phone and it's pretty large". "Oh no it's not!" he said "in addition to being a 'phone, it's a mini computer - it plays music and games and has GPS etc etc". I explained I already had a proper computer and an iPod plus the fact that I didn't get lost very often! The straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was when I learned that it didn't even receive MMS messages - I'd have to wait for the upgrade in May/June for that facility!. I must admit that Safari is a definite plus point and would be useful when away from home - the ability to sync my Address Book would be great too. In contrast, threads on Forums such as this describing horror stories of switches falling off, screens cracking, backs scratching etc have not boosted my confidence in the product!

So, as far as I'm concerned, that's the situation at the moment. Come June time with the launch of the new OS, I more than likely, will be persuaded to take the plunge! However, that's not a certainty - as far as I am concerned, the Jury is still out!

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Geez, having an iPhone doesn't make your members any bigger guys. Relax the fanboyism.