My Iphone IP has been hijacked, is it a virus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blmbmj, May 28, 2011.

1. blmbmj macrumors newbie

I received an email message in BOTH of my two Gmail accounts from a dan_flint_92@yahoo.de saying that my iphone IP has been traced to messages being sent to him and that he will contact authorities if I don't stop.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS COULD BE ABOUT? I do not know this person, nor anyone else in .de!!!

Can an IPhone IP be hijacked? Is this a new virus for the Iphone?

Please help. I have had my same Iphone for 3 years with ATT in the U.S. and have never had any trouble like this.

Thanks.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is your iPhone jailbroken?

3. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Is your iPhone jail broken, because then it's possible but still higly doubtful. If the authorities do come I'm sure if u aren't doing it they will find out who is.

4. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

it onus like a scam to me, but if concerned you should talk to ATT. Go into any corporate sales office and they can find out pretty quick.

Like I said it sounds a scam.

5. blmbmj thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it is not jailbroken. Apparently lewd Facebook messages are being posted and the posts are being traced back to the IP of my Iphone.

It is probably the pitiful security on Facebook.

6. Sc00tr macrumors regular

The IP can not be traced back to your iphone

You can not trace an IP address back to an iPhone easly without jumping through a bunch of hoops. IP addresses are Dynamic and reused. The IP address that I have today, someone else will have tomorrow. It is the same for both ATT & Verison. If they did a reverse lookup of the IP then they would get ATT or Verison. That is where the trail will stop. In order to trace the IP back to your iPhone, ATT would need to search through its records to see who was assigned that IP at that point in time. ATT will only release that info under a court order to protect the privacy of its customers. It is fairly difficult to get a court order and the guy is in Germany. So in short it not though the IP.

Now email addresses get hijacked all the time. I could easy send out an email and make it look like it came from you. In fact SPAM does this all the time.

More info on what is going on would be helpful. What kink of emails are being sent. I would also look at the email headers.

7. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

AFAIK there is no way to tell someone's IP from a FB messege. Email have headers that include the originating IP, but FB messages do not.

I would just block his email from gmail and ignore him.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's bs.
    I'd just ignore it. It's either spam or a scam.

9. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Just ignore the email. He's trying to either scam or spam you. Don't respond.

10. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Someone could be sending pictures to Facebook from your email address. Facbook allows you to post pictures to your profile through an email.