My iPhone is artifacting...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by foothead, Apr 2, 2010.

1. foothead macrumors regular

It's been quite a while since I posted here...

Anyway, I have an 8GB EDGE iPhone, and I was playing brickbreaker on it, when I noticed some glitchy textures. I fired up Assassin's Creed, and it was doing exactly the same there. This is texture artifacting, like what you would see when you overclock a video card too much, or if you have heavy vdroop. It is only happening in 3D applications.

I have reformatted the iPhone, with no luck. It still does exactly the same thing. I am not ready to get a new phone yet, so does anybody know what is causing this?

I /do/ have a spare 4GB iPhone mainboard laying around that I could swap in, but I need my storage space. Is there any chance that the memory can be transplanted between the two? I do not remember if it is soldered on or on a separate board.

2. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Our phones are really old.... 3 generations, nearly 4.

3. foothead thread starter macrumors regular

I guess, but why pay $35 a month for the same plan, just so you can use it on a newer phone? This is why I never upgraded to a 3G. Well, that and the fact that 3G is almost as slow as EDGE where I live.

Any chance I could get away with buying a 3G iPhone, SIM unlocking it, and using my $20 plan?