my iphone is going back - steve some do send it back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sguk, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sguk macrumors newbie

My iphone 4 is going back!

STANDARD ORANGE NETWORK
    OUT IN THE STICKS

NOKIA N96
    FULL SIGNAL

IPHONE 4
    Without a case and before software upgrade the signal is full but drops the whole 5 bars when holding it.
    I bought a clear case until apple send out the free ones in 5 weeks, still drops 3-4 bars.

After the software upgrade it did nothing, so I totally restored the phone.

I also noticed the sim card in the metal tray touches the metal which of course also touches the antenna. I put some black electrical tape on that.

Then

Drops 3-4 bars without a case, 2-3 bars WITH a case! All apple have done is calculate to signal differently to make the drop look less.

3G NETWORK
    URBAN AREA
    It's very very odd as over at my other house I'm renovating the iphone 4 gets 3 bars where my old nokia gets 5, however it picks up the network in places my old phone couldn't....which is probably due to the better antenna.

BUT
    If you hold the phone without a case it still totally loses the network so cancels out any better coverage.

Otherwise perfect, very loud and clear and far surpasses the Nokia in every other respect.

It's going back until they modify them!! I'm not being the mug like millions of others who are 'living with it'. Rumours are...in america they've started to modify production.

So the iphone 4 does need a 3 metre mast stuck to the top.
    Those who say there is no problem live in such high coverage its probably way above 5 bars and the 3 bar drop doesn't show.

2. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Thanks for sharing?

There are at least five hundred other threads you could have posted this rant on. Why start a new one?

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

So take it back. They are NOT modifying the phone with any hardware updates. The iPhone 4 you buy in December will be identical to the one you already bought with the only exception being the preloaded software version that you would have already been given access to. There are way too many of these posts already. A phone is not a right. Some don't work for certain people. Take it back or put up. Simple.

4. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Yeah, really. Besides, who cares if you take it back? No one other than yourself.

5. AndyWright macrumors newbie

Just returned mine to the O2 shop today :(

Great device in every way, except as a phone - 5 bars when sat on the desk (with the 4.0.1 software), "No Service" when I pick it up.

Couldn't get hold of a case for it before the return-for-refund deadline with O2, so back it went.....

I'll hold off for a while and see if Apple do anything to improve the design (seems unlikely), or try one with a bumper case when they become available.

6. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

I totally agree with your decision. Congrats on returning your phone! GJ :)

Ignore the angry dumb fanboys who live in utopia land.

7. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Well to be fair, nearly every possible subject about the Iphone has probably already been covered.....If your not interested in the thread don't read it, quite simple really.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. OP, sorry it didn't meet your needs or expectations. Sounds like you made the right choice in taking it back.