My IPhone is going crazy, help please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by palckofv, Jan 21, 2009.

1. palckofv macrumors regular

Today a message started to randomly pop up on my edge iphone. It says that "This accessorry is not made to work with Iphone." It's the same message that comes up when you plug it into a dock it's not supposed to be on and it asks if I would like to put airplane mode on. But nothing is even plugged into it. If I am playing the ipod on it and the message pops up then the ipod just stops, it is getting really frustrating, cause I use the ipod all day. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas? I have tried resetting the phone by holding down both buttons until it resets, but it hasn't helped. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

2. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

try cleaning out the headphone jack and the dock connector, usually when stuff gets stuck in there it get's that error message.

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

If the above fails to work, try restoring... That is of course, if the phone recognizes it's connected to a computer :p

Keep us informed. :)

5. Shawn D macrumors regular

if those don't work it may be water damage to the sync port. :(

6. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah.
    Try that.
    Never happened to me before, but good luck!

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Huh?

8. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I have tried to clean the dock connector and it's port and the headphone jack. So far it hasn't happened again. Hopefully this works, I hope it's not water damage. I will post at the end of the work day and let everyone know if it worked. Thanks everyone.

9. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Glad to hear. If it happens now and then, used some compressed air to blast out any dust that could be in there.

10. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

I cleaned it about two hours ago as best as I could. It is happening less often, but still happenning. After work I'm going to go get some of that air in a can and hopefully that works. Thanks again

11. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I was getting that message with my 1st gen after I dropped it in the toilet. I tried the bag of rice for the next two days and never had a problem with it. Moral of the story, try the bag of rice....

12. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

I don't follow. What do you do with the bag of rice? Did this work? Thanks for your help.

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The bag of rice is only if your iPhone got wet. You can check this by looking in the bottom of the headphone port very closely. There is a water sensor sticker. It should be all white, if the phone has been water damaged, it will appear half pink-half white.

14. palckofv thread starter macrumors regular

I put my phone in rice for a couple of days and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks a lot, you all saved me a big headache and a couple hundred bucks. Thanks

15. firewood macrumors 604

A bag of dry uncooked white rice is a fairly good desiccant. If there's moisture inside a device, putting it inside a sealed bag of rice in a warm place (windowsill in the sun or over a radiator) for a few days will help dry it out faster. Might want to wrap the device in a handkerchief before putting it in with the rice to keep too much dust from getting inside the device holes.

16. eedna macrumors member

i dont understand how people drop things in toilets

17. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Sh*t happens...

18. Cudadown macrumors regular

LOL!, priceless