My iPhone is not getting along with my new Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Newtons Apple, May 24, 2015.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

You would think it is jealous or something as my phone notifications are screwed up and my phone refuses to make its normal notification sounds when I get a email or text. Not a peep out of my phone. I have tried mirror and custom. What the heck am I doing wrong.

I have already done a reset and repairing and the same thing happens. There are time I do or hear the ding on the watch or feel it vibrate so I want my 6+ to still make the same notification sound it did before the watch.

Help please.

Only notification that works as it shoul is the phone. My iPhone does ring when I get a call but dead silent when getting a text or email.

2. dilap macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to be like this, you phone won't make a sound and it will go straight to your watch.

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

That's how it's supposed to work.

4. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Well as I fail to hear or feel the watch notifications, if I can not get my iPhone to make it's usual notifications, the watch is not going to work for me.

Seem there has to be a way of getting the phone to still make notification sounds while using the watch.

5. dilap macrumors 6502a

Have you turned on prominent haptic in Apple Watch > Sounds and Haptics? It plays a longer stronger buzz before the normal sound/feedback so you can recognise it.

6. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yes, sound on watch at MAX and prominent haptic engaged. There are still times when I am doing other things that I do not hear or feel the watch.

I guess there is no option that still allows the phone to keep making it's regular notification sounds along with the watch. :(

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It took me a week or so, but you do become more accustomed to the watch's feel and sound.

At this point, I have the watch on mute and my phone on silent, and I've yet to miss anything. It's kind of nice not hearing "ding ding" every minute anymore.

8. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It would be nice if I could at least change the "ding" sound to something else.

Oh well I will be patient and home my watch "trains me" and I feel and hear it. I love it so forth.

By the way, when it get a phone call my iPhone also does it's usual ringtone along with the watch notifications. Go figure.

I repost as my training moves along.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Works as designed. It'd be annoying to receive notifications on both when one will do, and I prefer them to be on the Watch when I'm not using my iPhone.

Turn on the sound on the Watch if you're not perceptive enough to detect haptics on the Watch. It's easy enough to check for the red dot once in a while for missed notifications while you're on the move.

10. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It might annoy some to have the phone still sound notifications but the option to do so would have been nice for some.

I am now depending on the red dot heavily.

Happy Memorial Day!

11. gmann21133 macrumors member

gmann21133

I have had my watch for about a week now, and at first I could not feel the haptic feedback. I dozed off on one of those days since I've had it, and I had an alarm set for just in case. Well lo and behold that alarm woke me with haptic feedback only, and it was the most jolting thing to feel because I was not actually expecting it from my watch, but my phone was in another room. I have been able to feel it perfectly ever since. What I am trying to say is I guess you have to associate, and familiarize yourself with the sensation before it will become apparent to you on a regular basis.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Amen, said the guy next to you on the bus/train/plane/at the movies/everywhere.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

LOL. Everywhere but the movies. I'm definitely good about silencing my gizmos.

14. papbot macrumors 6502

I actually disabled that "Stand" notification because it would annoy me when I was taking a nap! We were at an Apple Store today and it did seem as if the sport/aluminum watches had a more noticeable vibration when alerts went off. I'm assuming because it's lighter more of the watch itself vibrates with the alert while the heavier steel version absorbs some of that.

15. stoomc macrumors regular

Can someone please tell me what happens when wrist detection is turned off?
    Do the notifications come through to both the watch and the iPhone at the same time?

16. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I think you are right as I am now hearing the ding and actually feel the haptic vintage today. I consider myself in training. Pretty cool the AW is, I was afraid the battery would not get me through the day but at the end of my first full day, yesterday, I still had 45% remaining and I played with it a LOT. That included two 1.25 mile walks/exercise which I understand uses more battery during due to the HR sensor.

Overall on the second full day, all is working well now that I got notifications under my control. Thanks everyone for your help!