My iPhone is overclocked!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Everything was working fine, but now everything (music, ringtones, locking and unlocking sounds, and keyboard clicks) are going at double speed! I'm actually having fun playing around with it. Could this harm my iPhone over time?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I believe that's happened to mine once before. Just reboot the iPhone and it will be fine.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

4. svndmvn Guest

I read iPhone CPUs are usually underclocked, it does happen when you have modern compact devices, like the MBAir for example, so I guess, especially if unlocked/pawned could sometimes result in a "normal" CPU speed of 620 MHz..
    does it actually harm the iPhone? it probably just makes it heat up eventually more and the battery could last less
    it's just a supposition, cause having iPhone's ARM CPU just randomly overclocked should be more dangerous and problematic

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Having the sounds playing at 2x speed doesn't mean your entire iPhone is running at that speed. Probably just something temporarily screwy with the audio codecs...

6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Yeah, that was probably what it was. It just randomly started working again. I didn't have to restart it.