My iPhone is possessed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by quagnation, Jun 16, 2010.

1. quagnation macrumors newbie

Lately it's been:
    - shutting off on its own
    - taking screenshots on its own
    - ringer volume fluctuates up and down on its own
    - the 'power off' slider comes up on its own
    - my calls are disconnected

Should I just restore it? :confused:

2. ajones46 macrumors 6502

No, just a fever, let it just sweat it out ;-)

But first, try holding the power and home button, see if that helps. If not, then restore it.

3. iFixYouri macrumors member

Don't restore it...it's a hardware issue...

Ever drop it in water?

If not...it sounds like you need to replace the power/vibrate/volume flex cable. All three of these functions are connected. A 'volume button repair' or 'power button repair' would take care of that, and should make it act a little less possessed. ;-)

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's so nice to see someone posting for help and not about pre-orders for the 4. :)

Do you have water damage? Are you under warranty? You'll definitely need need to restore ( do a DFU, see my sig), but if you have water damage, it probably won't work.

5. quagnation thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies :D
    Water damage: Never been dropped in water. A little rain on the glass at most.

My screen shattered a few months ago and I got it repaired. The only problem I've had since then is that while I had the switch on silent mode it would vibrate on it's own, reverting back and fourth from silent to normal.

Warranty is expired, and I think I still have a year to go in my phone contract.

Would the volume button repair really fix all of that?

BTW, it's a iPhone 3G

6. iFixYouri macrumors member

Yep...it would! They're all connected. We have seen this SAME problem many many times. Especially now that you mentioned the vibrate on its' own, power off, and volume problem...i'm almost 100% sure. Restoring it will do nothing except wipe your phone, and you'll have the same problems. :D