My iPhone just took 50 freak'n minutes to sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by squeakyclutch, Sep 11, 2008.

1. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

My iPhone just took 50 whole freak'n minutes to sync, is steve trying to get one good last look at my iphone before the update tomorrow?? Anyone else experiencing this?

2. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Next update (coming out tomorrow) will fix this problem...

3. skabadelic macrumors member

I got the screen of death a few days ago. I restored from my last back up of 8/30. It literally took about five hours. After that, it didn't even restore properly...or something weird. iTunes was only giving me the options to restore from backup or set up as a new phone.

even though I just finished a 5 hour restore... :confused:

4. FJR macrumors regular

I just had a snappy under 2 minute sync. hadnt sync'd in a few days either.

5. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I just synced for the first time in about a week and it took over an hour! Never had that happen before.

6. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

You joking????!?!?!!!

(100% serious) My iPhone 3g is STILL syncing as I post and it has been doing so for 4.5 hours now.

7. GodsHand macrumors newbie

You guys realize you can click the little X to cancel the backup. I never backup. Waste of time.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

50 minutes - we've seen longer :eek:
    report back what 2.1 is like for you - I'd say those with these long syncs will be the most interesting to see how long it takes after getting 2.1

9. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

This command will change a hidden setting in the iTunes preferences that will force it to skip the backup process EVERY TIME.

1.*- Quit iTunes.
    2.*- Open Terminal.app
    3.*- Copy and paste this in, then hit return:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true

4.*- Open iTunes
    5.*- Plug in your iPhone (2.0 or 3G) and sync

It will take a few seconds, assuming you don’t have a ton of music or podcasts.

Changing the ‘true’ in step 3 to ‘false’ will re-enable the backup feature.

Courtesy of http://www.zerologic.com/site/page/pg4047-as131-pn_Disable_iTunes_iPhone_backup.html

10. Joe23 macrumors 6502

Click "Set Up as a New Phone" - it will still have everything from your restore on it. Process complete.

11. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

It takes a while when you add a lot of new apps to the iPhone, or stuff for the apps. For example, loading 400 MB of data into Airsharing caused my next sync to take 45 minutes. But after that it was back to 1 - 2 minutes. Also, if you cancel a backup (by clicking the "x"), you corrupt the backup. And the next time sync the backup will need to start anew, and therefore will take a looong time. So don't click the "x" unless you mean to never backup.

The two annoying things I hope they fix is the fact that the backup corrupts, or at least needs to start from scratch, the time after it is cancelled. Also, if you get a call during the backup it automatically cancels, and then naturally, needs to start from scratch the next time it backs up.