My iPhone music disappeared.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Samarium, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, and new to the Mac World too. I have been reading this forum about since 3-4 months ago, obviously reading other people's problems about their Mac computer, and made my big switch relying on the information on this site. Maybe that's not about your interest, I just wanted to say it.

My problem is this: I wanted to copy all my music/playlists/counts on the iTunes in my Windows PC, so i used this guide:
    http://www.tunequest.org/migrating-your-itunes-library-from-windows-to-mac/20061105/

I tried it, and finished with no success. Since I was too focused on installing all the programs and alternatives on what I used on my PC, I didn't care if I didn't had my playlists and counts so I simply imported the folder to my iTunes library, I agreed to erase all the music and used this computer as the one to put the music into the iPhone. Everything functioned as expected, until today I wanted to hear some music, everything was gone. I did not mind, and simply Synced all my music back. What i have now, is my 2.2 gb of music labeled as Music, and another 2.2 or so labeled OTHER. My first logical thought was that the iPhone could not read my music and that's why i could not hear my music and that's why it's not labeled as music. I will attach a screenshot of iTunes.

This is the iTunes screen capture:http://www.sendspace.com/file/3fxw76

What I want to do is: Delete the other part labeled as OTHER; Since my iPhone is jailbroken I dont want to restore it.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry for not using the link button, can someone please explain me how to use it?

2. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

hey wondering if you ever got a solution to this.. i went to sync my iphone today and all my music just went to 'Other' and cannot for the life of me get it back.. last time this happened i restored the whole phone but ive done wayyy to much to it that i cannot restore it atm.. any ideas ppl?

3. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

anyone??

i really dont want to restart my iphone again after all the apps and mods ive done to it...

btw whats the best way (program?) to backup an iphone so if this happens again i can just use a backup ive made to reset it to its previous state?

4. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

5. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

im guessin no one has the answer to this as i have looked through the web and the same problem was never resolved.

does anyone know of a good app to back up the phone? in case this was to happen again after a restore i save an image so i dont have to reinstall my apps etc?

6. nadav33 macrumors newbie

I just had the same problem on my iPod touch (which has been newly restored and upgraded to 1.1.4 after 1.1.2 and jailbroken went into an infinite reboot loop.

I'm planning on hacking it and then having a look in the itunes_control section to see what's going on.

I found this though (http://ijsm.org/archives/2007/07/19/iphone-music-disappears-disk-space-shows-as-other/):

"If you can access the phone via ssh, then do this:

cd /var/root/Medials

You should see 1 directory for iTunes which is iTunes_Control. I had iTunes_Control_2 as well which was the problem. I have to delete the directory to fix it.

rm -Rvf iTunes_Control_2

I am not sure if you can remove iTunes_Control and rename iTunes_Control_2 to iTunes_Control to save all of your music. Anyhow, after I deleted the directory; I got all capacity back and then I could resync all my music back. All are good. Hays P."

I hope the same will be similar on mine. Otherwise hopefully I'll just be able to find wherever the files are and delete them without any drastic issues.

good luck

7. jubjuber1 macrumors newbie

i found the easest fix for this

download the program diskaid its lets u get into iphones files without all she ssh or wever stuff and then u just go to ipod control and delete music folder then resync all ur stuff.. i used this way cuz i didnt want to rejailbreak mine

8. Samarium thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hey everone. Sorry Pincho for not getting back to you. Well, no I didn't recover my music. It required for a restore. I think it was because I downloaded an app for using two library's at the same time.

BTW. This was my first post and I recognized it immediately in the Forum Spy. :rolleyes::apple:

9. Cornwheezy macrumors newbie

Similar problem but now STUCK!?!

Hey everyone.
    So I have the jailbroken 3g 2.1 + itunes 8.
    Something happened and my music disappeared somewhere inside the phone. I was not able to recover it so I used diskaid to delete the music folder.
    I deleted everything inside that folder.
    I went and tried to resync but now Itunes does not even recognize Iphone at all. I checked the drivers for the iphone and they're all working.
    I even performed a reboot of holding the power and home buttons.

HELP! Thanks!