My iPhone only works with 2-4 bars

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Oct 15, 2014.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T (running iOS 6), and the 4G internet only works with 2, 3, or 4 bars of signal strength. It rarely works with 1 bar (not surprising) or even 5 bars (very surprising). Anyone else have this issue?

2. Mr Hands macrumors regular

With one bar that's not surprising, as you said.

With 5 bars- your phone could be connected to a spoof tower that the government set up to gather all your information. I am sort of joking, but sort of not- they do exist, but I don't know if a phone would still actually work while connected to one or not. I would think they would still work.

Do you have any reason to believe the government would target you for surveillance? Of course you probably wouldn't admit it here, so that's a rhetorical question. Just throwing an idea out there.

3. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Is 5 bars of signal strength unusual? Wow so anyone who gets 5 bars of signal strength might actually be targeted by the government?! :rolleyes:

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

WHAT? :rolleyes:

----------

Call your carrier. I have 3 towers within range of my house and depending on the weather I'll connect to one that has a horrible data connection from where I live, but I show 5 bars.

Does it always have issues with 5 bars or only when you're in a certain area? Have you tried resetting your network settings?

5. Mr Hands macrumors regular

Uh..no.. but if your phone IS NOT WORKING with 5 bars, is THAT normal?

Sheesh.

----------

I guess you didn't understand what I wrote. Try reading it again. :)

6. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

If the govt was surveilling people, they wouldn't kill their internet access. Sheesh.

7. Mr Hands macrumors regular

Ok.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Could be that there was unusually high saturation where you had 5 bars.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

Could be someone jamming the signal if it doesn't work with 5 bars. Basically use the same frequency as your phone, but overwhelm it with a more powerful signal that it locks on to that instead of the tower. Not spying on you, but some movie theaters use to do that, but it is illegal. Doesn't meant someone isn't doing it. Just like Marriott hotels got nailed for blocking use of mobile wifi to force people to pay for their wifi.