My iPhone randomly crashed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoshibirdofan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. yoshibirdofan macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 is right next to my laptop, and when I pressed the home button, nothing happened, so I assumed it was dead. I held down the power button to make sure, and the battery icon didn't show up. I put it on the charger anyway for a few minutes, and nothing happened. What should I do? I am running iOS 5, and my phone is not jailbroken, nor is it unlocked.

----------

Please help ASAP!

2. bcbryanc macrumors member

Did you try holding both power and home button at the same time for 10 seconds?

3. yoshibirdofan thread starter macrumors regular

Do I REALLY need to restore from a backup? The last time I restored was for iOS 5 -.-

4. kiantech macrumors regular

hold the power and hold button until the apple logo shows up, this does not delete any data. Its a hard reset, not a restore.

5. yoshibirdofan thread starter macrumors regular

but won't it put it in DFU Mode, and I'll have to restore on iTunes?

6. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

No

A reset is performed by holding the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then releasing. It does not affect data, it just restarts the iPhone. It is the second step of the user performed troubleshooting for the iPhone. Think of it like rebooting a computer. It takes a great deal more effort to put an iPhone into DFU mode. ;)

7. yoshibirdofan thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, the Apple Logo is up. I wonder WTF happened

8. cababah macrumors 68000

a clean factory restore should fix whatever inherent issue that caused it.

what does it say in the diagnostic log file in the settings-->about section?

9. phearx macrumors regular

Siri was tired of all the antics!

10. yoshibirdofan, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

yoshibirdofan thread starter macrumors regular

It says Identifier: Mobilephone

11. james92se macrumors 6502a

This has happened to me twice already in the 4 days I've owned the 4S.

It happened to me once on the iPhone 4 early on and never happened again for the whole year afterwards.

Each time it happens it always will come back on after a few minutes. Still annoying though

12. PeteLP macrumors regular

One thing I have seen several times (among several iPhones), has not been addressed here:

If the iphone gets below a certain battery level (like somewhere below 10%) it simply will not come on when you plug it in, until you've charged it for quite a while, perhaps an hour or two, sometimes more.

In my experience, that single symptom is completely normal iPhone behavior, requiring no restore, reset or anything else, other than a good charge.

If that happened to me again, I would not be worried, until I had charged it for several hours with no success.

Pete

13. cababah macrumors 68000

i took mine and got it replaced today for that same reason. it was annoying as s***t. none of my previous iphones ever did that once.

14. WatChDaBirDie macrumors newbie

My new iPhone 4s keeps shutting down as well. On Monday at 5pm I had 50% charge left. I went to use the phone at about 9pm and the phone had turned off and wouldn't turn on.

I plugged it into the charger and nothing happened. Left it on and about 2.5 hours later the phone powered up by itself with only 4% charge.

I left it on charge all night and at 8am it had 100% charge. Went to use the phone at 10:30 am and the phone had turned off again. Managed to power it up and the charge was down to 63%.

I hadn't used the phone at all so 37% loss in 2.5 hours to me is unacceptable.

Think I might try and get it replaced.

15. jicka macrumors member

This has happened to me 5 or 6 times since I got mine on launch day. It is just black when I go to use it and then it boots right up and shows the apple logo. I've never had to wait for it it always turns right back on. I have had my iPhones do this once in awhile in the past but like once a year not once a day.

16. cababah macrumors 68000

For all of you guys that have this problem, check the Diagnostics log and see exactly what the issue is. Make sure your phone sends that data to Apple. If you don't select it to send the data wirelessly, I think it automatically sends it when you sync with iTunes.

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I had my new 4S replaced last night due to the same issue. The genius said everything tested ok, but gave me the option to get a new iPhone. I took a new one. So far so good.