My iPhone restore issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pippin65, Oct 2, 2014.

1. pippin65 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Upgraded to the six and started the restore in the apple store two days ago. Still have apps that are darkened saying waiting. Is there a way to force these to install or am I better off deleting and re-downloading. And should a restore rake so long? Thanks.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

No way it should take that long, I would simply delete and re-download the apps that are still not downloaded.

One possibility I could think of is that you haven't been around wifi and have downloading apps over cellular disabled, or perhaps the the apps are too big to be downloaded over cellular.

Another thing is maybe the apps you are trying to install were previous versions that required iOS 7, and now you are using iOS 8 so they won't download.

Either way, simply delete the problem apps and re-download :)

3. pippin65 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also on my unlock screen it says it's restoring. But I also notice only some of my pictures are back... It's like it's caught in a loop.

4. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

It's always better to start with a brand new clean slate. Restoring from a backup is asking for trouble and bugs IMO. Maybe just restore via iTunes? (not from backup)

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Can you do a iTunes backup with your original device? If so I would so that and then restore your new phone with this iTunes backup.

I never use the cloud to do a full restore. I do backup to the cloud but every week backup to iTunes.

No matter what anyone tells you you can use a backup from another phone instead of starting new. Never made any difference on any of my phones.

6. pippin65 thread starter macrumors newbie

My iPhone restore issue

My wife erased and restored my old iPhone yesterday to take it as her own. I have connected it to my Mac in the past. So should I try to restore from there or what? Or just go clean?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Some swear to go clean wjile most others have had no problems just doing a full restore.

My restore from my 5S was fantastic. All was fine right done to all the icons. Took about 10 minutes and am very happy.

8. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

If you're restoring via iCloud it will only work if you're on Wi-Fi.

There's no need to set up as a new phone; iCloud restore and iTunes restore work just fine the majority of the time.

Try turning Wi-Fi off then waiting a few seconds and turn it back on and see if that starts the download for the rest of the items.

9. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Try to shut off the phone and turn it on again. I've seen that restart stuck restores. Occasionally I've had to do that several times to get everything to come back.