My iphone says Repair Needed on the screen...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VPofIT, Aug 6, 2008.

1. VPofIT macrumors newbie

VPofIT

I unplugged my Iphone 3g from the charger this morning and headed to work and tried to make a call on the way and noticed that the screen says Repair Needed, Iphone cannot make or receive calls...

Called Apple and they basically told me what I already knew, That I had to drive 2 freaking hours to the Orlando Apple store tonight to get it looked at...

I am on my second Iphone 3g already and looks as if I am headed for a third white box replacement. The first replacement was for bubbles in the paint on the back of the unit, strictly cosmetic but it looked horrible.

This is my first post and I'm sorry for venting but the quality of these Iphone 3g's is terrible IMO. Love this forum btw...

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

I am on my third White iPhone. I don't have it as bad as you though as my local Apple store is only 30-45 minutes away. My girlfriend is on her second, and my friend is on his third. Seems that quality assurance hasn't been the best.

3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

OMG. That is terrible. You're on the road and can't make or receive calls? What is up with these phones? They should give you some freebies when you get there. If i were you, i'd try.

4. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

wow the quality really sucks, glad i kept my first gen

5. danielforman macrumors regular

I have just received my FOURTH iPhone 3G from O2-UK today. First one the Sleep/Wake button started to come loose. Second unit had dust under the screen and really rough edges. Third dust under the screen yet again and some light leak.

So just checked the fourth and got a really really small bit of light leak and once again some dust under the screen and a bit of rough edge at the top right corner. So I have decided to give up and stick with what I have. For the past two weeks I have been syncing then clearing each iPhone in between waiting for the delivery driver to turn up to do a swap. Nothing else is wrong with the units but does seem some aspects of the manufacturing process and Quality Control need to be reviewed by Apple as it is not up to their standards.

6. outz macrumors 6502

couldn't agree with you more. i had 3 replacements on my original iphone.. 2 replacements on the 3g. i still have light leak as well as dust under the screen. im tired of wasting gas/time because their standards are crap. i ordered a tool from pdaparts.com to assist in the repair of my 3g. hopefully the dust is between the lcd and digitizer and i can get it out easily. the youtube 3g disassemble videos make it look a lot easier than the original iphone.

7. VPofIT thread starter macrumors newbie

VPofIT

Yeah, at this point I just want a phone that works. If it is "cosmetically challenged" then I will just live with it. It costs me $20 in gas and $7.00 in tolls to get over to the Apple store...

8. View macrumors regular

Can you not call them and have them do it by mail?? Surely you can, right?
    That way it takes 2 days and save the gas $$

9. VPofIT thread starter macrumors newbie

VPofIT

Yeah, but it takes longer than 2 days and I can't be without the phone for that long... They did tell me about a service phone for use during the wait for $29.
    Money really isn't the issue as much as it is the hassle of having to deal with switching out this phone yet again, when it should have been perfect from day 1!

10. FJR macrumors regular

If you raise hell they'll waive the $29 dollar fee. Or at least they did for me with my 2G, twice.

11. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

You and me both brother.
    :cool:

12. VPofIT thread starter macrumors newbie

VPofIT

Ok, I went to the genius bar last night in Orlando. They said they have never seen that error on the 3g yet... It took them 5 minutes to grab yet another phone for me out of a white box and switch my sim. The phone appears to be brand new and flawless so far. I updated it to 2.0.1 last night so let's hope phone #3 is a winner...

13. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Apple does off a upfront service to overnight you a replacement, if you purchased the 2 year applecare thing you get it for free but if you didn't its a 29$ fee i think. Oh don't forget they will do a 399/499 Credit card hold to but you can track the whole process online and its very nice.