my iPhone started going to edge

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by maflynn, Apr 6, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps its a coincidence but I recently updated my iPhone to 3.1.3 and now that I'm in the office, I'm losing 3G access. I've always had a weak 3G signal in some parts of my office but it seems pretty consistent that if I put my iPhone in my pocket and then later go to use it. I'll not have 3G but rather edge

Anyone else every hear of this issue - losing 3G connectivity suddenly when it was not a problem before?

Is it related to the patch, I tried searching both here and google and I've not come up with anything that indicates this.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe its better going to stronger Edge signal than staying with very low 3G.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I think that its.

Before in my cube, I was getting maybe 1 3G bar but it looks likes the EDGE strength is higher. I think the update that I applied might have tweaked those thresholds since this never occurred before and only starting happening after the update.

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Is it possible that AT&T may be working on upgrading the network in your area? I went through the same thing over the last 2 weeks here in my apartment. I'd never had anything less than 4 bars of 3G EVER, and suddenly it was dropping down into Edge seemingly at random (and often would only be a bar or 2 of Edge). The work appears to be done now, though, as the problem seems to have disappeared.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Are you in Southern California?

The last two days has been lousy. Started with my son complaining he couldn't get in (he doesn't have an iPhone) and then I can't get any data on 3G today at all. I switched to edge and all seems to be working.

6. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No Boston Ma

While I generally have great coverage here in Boston, my office seems to have a low reception area. I always had 3G even in there but now its been shifting to 3G for some reason. I've not seen it go down into Edge except when I'm in the office, so I don't think its a problem with the phone.